Chapter 9 ::: Contracted, I'm A Target

PLEASE PLAY SONG (warning: adult language)

6 months later...

After about a month of hoping Dex would come for me, I gave up and found a job. Jane's café was a quaint place. The pay was decent and the customers seemed to enjoy me. "Alright Tia, you can go now," Chase the manager said.

"Thanks for all your help, Kim flaked out on me again."

"Kim should be fired," I replied.

"Yeah, but she's my sister and she needs this job," he gave me a sad look. "I promise I'll figure something out."

"Okay," I said as I pulled of my apron and draped it over the counter. "See you tomorrow."

I walked out of the café hoping to find mom parked across the street but that wasn't what I got. Gerald Fisher was leaning again his red sports car, courtesy of his dad's credit card. For three months he's been on me like glue. Once he found out about my mate, he thought it meant that we were supposed to be together.

Aside from him knowing my daily routine, I was annoyed how after only four days back home and everyone in town knew about Dex and I. I'm surprise they haven't tried to make a soap opera about it.

"Ready?" Gerald gave me a small smile. He's very attractive but have one of the ugliest personalities known to man. He's so entitled. After the last three months, I know for a fact that he hasn't changed a bit.

"Nope, just waiting for a cab. What are you doing here Gerald?"

"I'm here to take you out," he bit his bottom lip. I'm sure it was meant to be seductive but it disturbed the shit out of me, like the way a pervert looks at a girl.

I checked my watch, "its 11:30. The only place I'm going is home and no, not with you."

"Just get in the car Tia. I never said it was a date. I just need our help with something."

I sighed, "With what? Since when did do we start doing favors for each other?"

"Since now. Can you just get in? I promise I'll be the perfect gentleman."

"Fine," I walked pass him and sat in the passenger seat. Why not take advantage of a free ride? Gerald was harmful for the most part, but I have to remind myself to never be alone with him when he's drunk. The last time that we were together and he was pissed drunk, I ended up nursing him to health. And was he appreciative? No. The very next day everyone at school thought he got laid. As if I would ever sleep with someone who was puking their brains out.

Once Gerald closed the door, I could swear I saw someone watching us. It was almost like I could feel their stare. "You're just taking me home, right?" I asked Gerald for the fifth time. "I have to get up early tomorrow. I'm working a double."

"Stop being a prude. I'll take you home," he smiled at me.

I frowned back him. I was not amused. The sooner I could get away from him, the better. For the rest of the trip, I just stared out of the window. Watching the moon going further into the distance soothed me. It felt like home. And I had to get used to it. When I was with Dex, I never really felt welcomed, like it could never be my home.

I shook my head, trying to get him out of my mind, but it was hard. Dex felt like a permanent stain on my brain. Every night, images of him invaded my dreams, or rather, nightmares. I wanted to forget him and my time at that hellhole. I had to remind myself that even if he wanted me back, I never want to be in that atmosphere again.