Chapter 8 ::: Adulthood

Beau was right. It was as if he was spot on. The only way I would have my mate would be in my own fantasies. It hurt. How was I going to explain to people that I finally found him, but he didn’t want me? He practically threw me away. He didn’t stop me. And in my book, that’s just as bad.

The driver pulled up in front of my house where my mom stood in the yard looking concerned. I knew tonight was going to be full of tears and lots of ice cream. I hopped out of the limousine and ran to hug her. It all came pouring out then. I just started sobbing. Everything felt like a fresh wound. And it all happened so fast, in a matter of days in fact.

“Come, I got a new pint of ice cream and ‘The Notebook’ in the DVD player as we speak,” Mom kissed my forehead. “You can tell me all about your disaster if a mate.”

“Oh I will,” I replied as the driver rolled my suitcase up to me. “Thanks,” I muttered. He nodded and a few minutes later, he drove off. That was it. A new wave of pain came back to me and I found myself crying. Mom took my suitcase and handed off to John who just happened to come outside. “Thanks John.”

Mom wrapped and arm around my waist and I leaned into her as he walked up the stairs and into the house. We both plopped down on the couch and mom started the DVD. “Here,” she held out a pint of chocolate ice cream and a spoon. I eagerly took them and popped the top. “So…where do you want to start?”

I ate a spoonful of ice cream, savoring it. “Everyone was so…” I sighed. “And Dex was so…ugh!” I scooped another spoonful in my mouth. “His sister is kind of weird. I never met his dad. We couldn’t show public displays of affection. How stupid is that?” I furrowed my brows at my mother. “All I here are rules and the need for protection. They all seem to think I need to protection from something. I think they’re all paranoid.”

“Well that is most definitely weird. But what’s weirder is that Dex wasn’t there to guide you. He knew you were new to the pack. He should have made you feel welcome.”

“Do not get me started on the Omegas. They’re just as rude as the Norms,” I jabbed the spoon in the ice cream. I needed to take my anger out on something.

“I’m here for you honey. Take all the time you need. Vent all you want.”

Sitting the pint down on the table, I turned to my mother. “But that’s just it. I don’t want to vent mom. I waited ten years for him and this is what I get,” I started crying again. “On my first day there he told me about the girl he was screwing. Who does that?! Those people have no filter.”

“Oh,” my mom looked taken aback. “At least you found out who he really was. Now you don’t have to wait another ten years for your perfect mate,” she wiped away a few of my tears, “You know. Barbra Fisher’s son, Gerald, broke off his wedding to his mate. He found out that she was pregnant with another man’s baby.”

“How did they know it was someone else’s?” I asked curiously. “Two white people don’t make a black baby, Tia. She didn’t cheat on him, he just slept with another man right before him and for nine months she carried on like it was his child.”

“Oh,” I nodded. “So why are you telling me this?”

“Well…” mom gave me a big smile. “You know how he used to stand up for you in school, right?”

I lifted an eyebrow, “No, he never stood up for me in school. In fact, he was one the one that pushed me down. I think he deserved what he got.”

“Tia,” she gave me a tired look, “he’s single, you’re single…”

“Oh hell no!” I got up at looked down at her with disappointment. “There’s no way in hell I would end up with him. He’s an ass. He’s always been an ass. That’s what I wrote to him in his yearbook.”