52. Treacherous

9th January 1979

"My future?" He looked like he was about to faint at the words. "Aren't there rules against changing the past and stuff?" He asked confusedly.

"Usually yes." Hermione conceded. "But I'm changing everything. I won't let the war go on for another twenty years. So I can tell you, in the hopes it will change your mind about joining the Death Eaters, Peter."

"Okay." Peter wiped a bead of sweat from his brow and turned himself to face her properly.

"My friend Harry, there's more I didn't tell you about him. His full name was Harry James Potter."

"Prongs'?!" Peter interrupted, looking both shocked and not.

Hermione nodded. "Harry Potter was born to James Potter and Lily Evans on 31st July 1980-"

Peter interrupted again before Hermione could continue, "Is that what all of your and Prongs' arguments were about last autumn?"

Now it was Hermione's turn to be confused, "What do you mean?"

"You thought they were supposed to be together, right?" Peter very astutely pointed out, "That's why you took so long to say yes to dating Prongs at school. You two only started dating after Lily started dating Padfoot, and then when Pads and Lily had those issues last year that's when you started doubting your relationship again. You thought it was fated, or some bullshit. You thought he'd leave you for Lily."

Hermione blinked, reminded – not for the first time – just how perceptive Peter could be when he put his mind to it. "I–"

"That's stupid, Hermione. I thought you were supposed to be intelligent." Hermione made an insulted noise, but Peter kept talking, "If you're changing everything else, then people's relationships aren't going to stay the same, are they?"

"I– No– I suppose not."

"Did Pads and Moony date in your past for example? Pads and Lily? Were they in the poly-whatever-it-is thing? What about your brothers and Marlene?" Hermione shook her head to all of them. She wasn't completely sure of course, Harry had never known much about his parents' and godfather's past, but for Peter's point it made sense. "Exactly."

"We're supposed to be talking about your future, Peter." She pointed out.

"We'll get there." He waved her off, "But Prongs is one of my best friends and he loves you. I don't want you breaking his heart because of some bullshit thoughts you've got that don't make sense. You two belong together. Maybe in your past you didn't. But you're here now, and you love him, and he loves you. So let yourself. Let him. If it ends, it ends. But it won't be because of fate, or him supposed to be being with Lily or some such rot."

Hermione swallowed thickly, she'd needed to hear that from someone else. She hadn't known how much doubt she still had until Peter laid it all out for her. "I– Thank you, Peter."

"Of course." He laughed quietly, and reached out to squeeze her hand lightly, "Go on then, tell me my future." He grinned, looking like the rest of the Marauders when they had a dastardly plan, "I thought you hated divination?"

"Oh, bugger off." She muttered, before picking up where their conversation had taken a detour. "Sirius became Harry's godfather. In early 1980, a woman named Trelawney gave Albus Dumbledore a prophecy about a baby born at the end of July to people who had thrice defied Voldemort."

Peter's eyes widened, "Harry?"

Hermione nodded, and brushed away the tears forming in her eyes, "Harry. It was the reason Harry was thought to be the only one who could defeat Voldemort. Lily and James went into hiding with Harry, and Sirius was made the secret keeper." She had to stop for a moment, forcing back more tears angrily. In her past, the story of Lily and James Potter had been sad, but she had had no personal connection. Now she was talking about her boyfriend and one of her best friends. It wasn't easy. "There was a lot of distrust in the Order in those days–"