Chapter 3

Weirdo on maple Street
(Part 1)

Nobody in Mike Wheeler's basement was as shocked and confused as Grace. She couldn’t think of a logical explanation for the random girl they had encountered on their unsuccessful search for their missing best friend. Why was she in the woods alone in nothing but a t-shirt? Why was her head shaved? Why wasn’t she answering any of their relentless questions? And most importantly, How and why is any of this happening? First one of her closest friends goes missing, and then they all find a girl around their age in the woods the day after Will went missing. She knew she couldn’t stay for much longer. Her sister would be there to get her any minute, so if she were to be able to understand any of this then she would have to ask any and all questions she had now.

“You guys shut up. You’re probably scaring her even more than she already is.” Grace spoke over the three boys as they stopped their endless amounts of questions. “What’s your name?” Grace said calmly to the girl as everyone else stayed silent and she sat down next to her.

The bald girl proceeded with silence. Mike scurried away quickly and grabbed some old clothes of his for the girl to change into.

“Here, you can change into these. You probably need to wear something other than just a t-shirt.” She took the clothes without saying anything back to the boy. She stood up in front of the group and attempted to take off her shirt. Grace quickly got in the way and stopped her.

“No, no, no! Don’t change here. You can’t change in front of everyone. Here I’ll take you to the bathroom, for privacy.” She walked the peculiar girl to the bathroom as the boys behind them began murmuring to each other.

Grace tried to close the door, but the silent girl wouldn’t let her. “No.” She finally said something. “Ok, here I’ll just crack the door.” The girl just stared intently at her. “Yes.” Grace cracked the door slightly and walked back to the boys.

“This is mental.” Dustin said with a slight hint of enthusiasm.

“At least we know she can talk.”

Lucas scoffed at the response. “She said ‘yes’ and ‘no’, Mike’s four year old sister can say more.”

Dustin's eyes were widened with shock and confusion. “She tried to get naked.” Then proceeded to copy the motion of taking off his shirt.

“There is definitely something wrong with her in the head. I bet she escaped from Pennhurst.” Lucas spoke out loud. Mike just furrowed his brows. “From where?”

Grace crossed her arms around her chest with one hand on her chin as she began to pace back and forth while the boy bickered back and forth about their theories. She just couldn’t believe the timing and sudden appearance of the girl. Why now? Why tonight of all nights? Why didn’t she talk normally? Why weren’t there any broadcasts or posters of a missing girl like there had been for Will? Should they report it? Should they keep it a secret? So many questions ran through her mind and the only one she could think to ask any of them to was Bee.

Bee.

She would be here any minute and if she came down into the basement she would most certainly see the bald headed girl and automatically know that she didn’t stay at the Wheeler’s like she was supposed to.

“You guys, I have to go, like right now.” They all broke from the bickering.

“What, why?” Dustin asked.