Chapter 3

"Before getting to what you need to do," he licked his lips. "I'm gonna need to make sure you don't got anything on you that can be used against me."

"I have a bag full of medical equipment that could harm you," she retorted. "Need I remind you I am here as a doctor. And if you contacted me, it's because there is someone that needs medical attention."

Charlotte knew she was pushing her luck, but she had the upper hand at that moment. And she was going to play it.

"Don't tell me you're scared of a little body check, Charlie," the man chuckled. "Or is there something you're hiding from me, sweetheart?"

"I've got nothing to hide."

"Then you won't oppose to a little body search."

"Fine."

The girl set down her bag on the floor, spreading her arms and legs into a star pose. He neared her slowly, his eyes perusing her body like she was the last drop of water in the desert. The man stalked his prey, taking his time to drink in her image before placing his hands on her.

He started by the arms, making the hairs on her body stand upright, directing chills all over her veins. His hands were rough, a little calloused. He drove up her arms, kneading her skin softly through the long-sleeve T-shirt she had on. He landed on her shoulders before falling to the sides of her breasts, earning a strangled breath from Charlotte.

She had been holding her breath since she first felt his touch, but the closeness of his hands to such a sensitive area drew out an unconscious sound from within. Charlie felt his breath on her neck as he chuckled at her reaction. He was so close she wasn't sure where his body stopped and hers began.

The man continued the search, sleuthing for something he knew was not there. The most dangerous weapon the girl had on her body was her smile – one glance of it and she could have whatever she wanted, not that he'd tell her.

They both knew he was toying with her, coming up with a baseless excuse to feel up her body. But neither minded much. If there was a speck of honesty between the pair, they would confess that they'd rather forget there was a person in need of medical help and engage in a more... physical activity.

A minute later, the man was standing in front of her. "I need to check the front too," he said.

She nodded her head slowly and gulped loudly. His eyes never left hers, that cocky grin plastered on his face.

He repeated the same steps he'd done from behind. He started at her arms, slowing down on Charlotte's most sensitive spots – her chest, her hips, between her thighs. The only thing keeping her up was the knowledge that once he was done, she had to treat a patient.

"Well, Ms. Marks," he cleared his throat. "It seems you were telling the truth."

"You may be surprised, but I often do," she retorted. "Now, can we go see if my patient is still alive?"

"I'm sure everything's fine," the man chuckled. "Someone would have already told me if they were dead."

"I'm sorry, they?"

He motioned for her to follow him, and she scrambled to grab her bag. He led her down two corridors, ending up in front of a room with a closed door.

Behind, there was a scene Charlotte wasn't quite prepared for.

Five men, all with different emergencies, were loudly arguing about who was at fault for their injuries. The man with a knife in his leg was being yelled at by a man with a dislocated shoulder; the man with a deep laceration on his arm and chest was yelling at the man with a wound on his shoulder; another man with a wounded shoulder was yelling at all of them. The mix of Spanish and English had Charlotte's head spinning, unsure of where to start.