Chapter 7

Rare was the time when Rio was completely alone at the warehouse. It was normally roaring with voices, or he just wasn't there, moving from depository to depository to avoid detection. And the silence was chilling. All that filled the expanse of the building was the rushing sound of the air conditioning, the rush of passing cars, and the occasional shriek of a siren.

The halls weren't filled with the usual mumblings from his subordinates or the stupid fights they would get into. As he walked down them, all he could hear was the echoes of his steps.

But the silence wasn't as disturbing as he would have found it. His head was loud, almost deafening. It was filled with her. Images of her face, her body, of her skilled hands. He could hear her breath against his ear, her strangled moans, her trembling whimpers. And he couldn't stop wondering if he should go see her.

Sure, Charlotte had said she would show up at the warehouse. But she was also drunk out of her mind. It would surprise him if she could even remember her address by how inebriated she sounded. Still, the threat had stirred something inside him.

On the one hand, he didn't want her to come, nor did he want to go to her place. Rio knew he needed to get through his head that he couldn't get involved with someone like her. Not because she was bad for him –or even that he was bad for her, something he knew quite well—but because she was too good for him. She cared about others –it was quite literally her job,– she was kind, she was everything he was not.

On the other, he wanted her more than he had wanted anyone before. There was something about her that made him want to chase her. And the fact that she wanted him just as badly did not help his case. Having her beg him to touch her as he had done the night before. Having her desire him as intensely as he desired her.

Being on his own only aided in making his imagination run wild. What would he do if Charlotte did show up at the warehouse? What would she do if he showed up at her house? What would either of them do if they did absolutely nothing?

He didn't have to think for long. As he stared into nothingness, dreaming of her, a loud honk stole his attention. It wasn't far or passing by, he could hear it right outside the building. Bringing his gaze to the video recordings, he noted an unknown vehicle waiting at the entrance. The man on the driver's side was desperately pressing on his car's horn and flashing his lights.

Rio debated going outside. There was no reason for there to be a car waiting outside, much less a car he did not recognize. But something told him to exit his office. Something drove him to keep his gun tucked behind him in his waistband and not in his hand. Something that whispered that going toward that car was the right thing to do.

"Hey, man, look," the driver of the red car said as he saw Rio coming closer. "She is asleep back here, and this is the only address she could remember. I'm guessing she's drunk, but she seemed fine when she got in."

The driver guided Rio to the back of the car where, after he opened the door, a passed-out Charlotte sat. Her head had fallen completely backward, her mouth slightly parted open. As he ducked his head to grab her, he could smell the alcohol on her. He could perceive the scent of whiskey strong on her lips and tequila on her clothes. Her skin was flushed and clammy, and the hair from her ponytail was sticking to the back of her neck.

"I wasn't sure what to do, you know? I would've taken her back to where I picked her up, but it was pretty far," the young man continued. "She knocked out after mumbling out this address halfway into the drive, and when I arrived at a warehouse, I kinda freaked out. Lucky you were here; place looks pretty much abandoned."

"Yeah, right," Rio mumbled as he took Charlotte in his arms. She stirred as he fixed her body, putting him on high alert öf his every move. "How much do I owe ya?"