Chapter 9

If Charlotte had thought that having the upper hand would be satisfying, she was proven wrong quite quickly. By the time morning came, she could not stop looking at the burner phone. Even as she went and came from the hospital, her mind was occupied by a man she had no business giving another thought to. Still, she would hear phantom phone rings and buzzing, and every time she hoped it was him.

Yet, Wednesday passed. Then Thursday. And nothing. Once Friday came, she was sure on what his answer would be. But he still had twenty-four whole hours to answer and it was the smallest sliver of hope she was holding onto. Rio still had the chance to call her and tell her he was all in.

"Hey," Charlotte said as she entered her older sister's kitchen that Friday morning. "You guys ready for today?"

"Well, as ready as we'll ever be," she sighed. "Not sure how I feel about covering a crime with another crime. But as long as this all dies today, I am willing to do just about anything."

"And what exactly is this crime that you have to commit?"

"Nice try, Charlie," she chuckled. "You're not getting any details. Just know that I will be home in time for dinner."

"And before Annie's home visit," Charlie reminded her. "If she isn't there, Nancy and Greg are definitely going to get Sadie's full custody."

"She'll be there," the older woman reiterated. "I'll make sure we keep to the schedule."

"Fine. Just promise me you guys will be careful with whatever it is he's making you do."

"Stop worrying so much about us, Charlie," Beth smiled. "We'll be careful, I promise."

"Good, because if I ever have to treat any of you in my emergency room I might pass out."

"It won't come to that."

"Yeah, it better not." Charlie hugged her sister tightly, wondering if that was the last hug she would give her. But she pushed that thought into the darkest corners of her mind and locked it away with a key. "Well, I've gotta go to the hospital. I'll see you when you get back. If you're not here by six-thirty, I am buying pizza for the kids."

"Don't worry about that. Dean will have the kids."

"Ew, why Dean when they have their aunt right here?"

"Don't say ew. He's still their father," she chuckled. "I love you, Charlie."

"Love you too, Beth," the girl smiled sadly. "And tell Annie to check her phone. I will be sending her reminders about her appointment."

"Go already!"

"Fine," she groaned. "I'll see you later. I guess I have to go save lives."

After grabbing her backpack and leaving through the door, a sense of worry overtook her body. She wanted to trust that Rio wouldn't do anything that would jeopardize her sisters' lives. But the truth was, she didn't know if he would. Even less if he would do it for her.

Yet she still couldn't help the tug in her chest that kept pulling her toward Rio. The voices in her mind kept wondering who he was underneath the criminal boss façade he had to wear. Something inside her had a desperate need to get closer to him, no matter what he'd done to her family.

At the hospital, it was business as usual. It was like the world had no idea that when night came her whole life would be different. Her sisters and her friend would no longer owe a dangerous criminal and she would know if that criminal wanted her the same way she wanted him. No one cared that her heart was hammering in her chest, or that the little phone in her pocket was weighing her down. Not even during her table rounds did anyone question why her head was filled with the image of him rather than the six patients she had seen that morning.