Chapter 4

Rio walked Charlotte to the car, an off-brand move that painted him as a gentleman. He even opened the door for her and placed the bag in the trunk. This was not the big bad gangster that had broken into her sister's house and threatened the people she loved.

"Get home safe." He was leaning against her door, a toothy grin on display. "Alright, ma?"

"Wait, what about my sisters and Ruby?"

"Don't you worry your pretty little head about them," he chuckled. "They're grown."

"I worry that you'll kill them."

"Nah, as long as they get me my money it's all good."

"And if they don't, they're as good as dead."

"Let me ask you something," Rio shifted. He seemed stuck in thought for a second. His lips disappeared into his mouth, and he licked them, his hand scratching at his jaw. "Have any of them included you in whatever troubles they're in?"

"Well... not exactly."

"So, why are you concerning yourself with them? Whatever happens, it's because of the shit they did," he stated. Charlotte could tell he was serious. Long forgotten was the cocky grin, replaced by a strong scowl. "Go home, Charlie. And let them worry about their mistakes by themselves."

"Fine," she scowled.

"And here. For your troubles."

He placed an envelope in her hands which she quickly opened. "This is ten grand. I thought I was doing this to pay my debt."

"You did a lot more than you were supposed to," he smiled. "Now go. You need some rest."

Charlotte white-knuckled the steering wheel as she drove home. She would never admit it, but Rio was right. Her sisters and her friend were shielding her from the trouble they were in and all she could do was worry about them. To them, she would always be the baby, the one they have to care for. If only they could see what she could do.

She didn't understand what she felt. Anger... disappointment... frustration? She definitely felt powerless amongst the jumble of emotions. Even if they didn't want her to, Charlie just couldn't help but worry that by the next day she'd be an only child.

Expecting to arrive at an empty house, she was surprised to find Beth in the driveway as she parked.

Knowing there was probably some blood stuck to her hair, she scrambled to reach for the beanie she left in the glove box. Getting out of the car, she zipped up the hoodie Rio had given her and concealed her hands inside the pockets.

"You're just getting in?" Beth asked once she noticed Charlie was walking toward her.

"Yeah, they asked me to help out in the ED," she lied. "You going somewhere?"

"Just going on a drive to clear my mind."

"Do you want company?"

"No, you should rest," she smiled. "Charlie, you know how much I love you, right? And everything I've done is to make sure at least one of us Marks has a good life. I'm so proud of everything you have done so far and how hard you've fought to get through med school."

"Beth, what's going on?"

"Nothing, nothing," the older Marks assured as she wiped away a few stray tears. "Look, I don't want to burden you with anything but if anything were to happen to me, I'm gonna need you to help Dean with the kids. He's a good father but he struggles with everything. I know I treat you like one of my kids —because I've basically raised you— but they see you as another mom."