Chapter 2

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I bet they would live a lot differently." -Unknown

*****

There are some things that we do not know that is actually happening to us right now. Last night, I woke up when I heard my phone is ringing, and as a respect due to the caller, I immediately answered it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Is this Ashley Coleman?" the caller asked.

"Uh yeah, speaking." I said.

"Oh, yes this is Doctor Lace. I'm afraid your mom is rushed to the emergency room today- what I mean is right now, I suppose." Doctor Lace said sadly.

"What?! May I ask what time it is?!" I said with shock.

"2:34 am."

"I-I'll go there. Give me 10 minutes tops." I said, with a hurried voice.

I dressed up as fast as I can, and grab a paper and a pen and wrote a note saying that I have to go out in the middle of the night to go to my mom who right now is in the emergency room. Good thing I've got my license already because my driving school is kind of fucked up regarding to its students. So, luckily, I've passed the driving test. The teacher even said, "you're good; you're also pretty. I'm inviting you for a lunch later." Well, I denied- of course.

Anyway, as soon as I've finished writing the note, I put it in the dining table and got my aunt's car keys and I'm ready to go.

"Oh God I know you're an old one but I want you to go faster, because I don't want to see my mom dead as dad did this to me." I said to the car, though in the second thought, cars never speak.

"Okay, here we go."

Good thing it's past 2 am here, that's why there are no patrolling cops here in our town. I've been driving at least 90 kph, which is kind of illegal, I don't care, as long my mom is okay. I even forgot that there is a stoplight which reads as 'red', but, I've kept driving.

"Okay, 2:43 am. 8 minutes. Okay." I said as I parked in the parking lot near the emergency room.

I quickly room to the emergency room when I saw Doctor Lace.

"D-doctor Lace!" I shouted as I saw her towards me.

"Hi there, Ashley." She said in a calm voice.

"What happened to mom?" I said worriedly.

"Your mother almost got killed; she wants to suicide herself." She said.

 "What?! Why?!" I shouted.

"I don't have the exact idea, dear. I saw her just 20 minutes ago, with lots of blood in her hand. That's why I decided to rush her to the emergency room."

"I even saw a suicide note, just beside her." She continued.

She took the suicide note in the desk and gave it to me.

"Here, take this. I didn't read it, because it says it's for you."

I looked at the paper, and saw 'To: Ashley, my daughter.'

"Oh, thanks." And I put it in my pocket, when suddenly, one of the nurses came to us.

"Are you a relative of miss Melissa Coleman?" the nurse said.

"Uh, yes I'm her daughter." I quickly said.

"Okay. May I escort you to your mother?" she asked.

"Okay, sure." I said flatly.

We left Doctor Lace alone, standing.

"Oh, mom!" I said, with tears dropping down to my neck.

"What happened to her?" I asked.

"I believe she suicide herself with a bread knife that was given to her when it is her dinner time. She also waits for the perfect time to suicide herself when it's early morning, the time when there are no nurses around. Good thing Doctor Lace came and immediately reported the incident, so we rushed her to the emergency room." the nurse said.

 Good thing, I thought.

"There is also good news; I suppose, that the injury sustained in your mother is not that serious, but it also needs treatment. It will take, a week before she can able to be in a normal condition. But, as for now, I can't say if she can get out to the emergency room and transfer her to her original room." She continued.

I nodded when she finished. "Thank you so much." I just said with a teary voice.

"It's just our job, miss." The nurse said as she smiled.

"I'll just leave you two here. Just call us when you have help." And she left.

I don't know why the hell mom did this. I know that she had the condition, but it cannot be this way. Leaving me just like that? I know it's hard to accept that dad's gone, but she can't just suicide just like that.

After hours in the hospital, I decided to go home because later, I am going to register at New Town High School, so I needed sleep. Doctor Lace promised that she will take care of mom when I'm gone, and updates me every time, especially when it is regarding to mom. Doctor Lace is kind of my aunt now, I supposed, just like aunt Jessie.

I'll just read the note mom gave me tomorrow.

I've arrived at aunt Jessie's house by 4:12 am, when suddenly I've felt relieve because the house is stay as it is. No lights opened, no aunt or uncle waiting in the porch, just the same old house, waiting to be homed for.

I parked the car the way as it is, and sneakily opened the door quietly. I sighed when I saw the note that I've put earlier in the dining table before I rushed to the hospital. I put the car keys where aunt Jessie put it, and I rushed upstairs going to my room, leaving my Converse just beneath the stairs.

After I got to my room, the bed was waiting for me. I never been so desperate to sleep before, after all this time. I didn't care if I am not dressed for bed, as long as I sleep with ease. This day is so unlucky for me, (again).