We get the Hell out of Hades

All rights belong to Rick Riordan

Chapter 5

We get the Hell out of Hades

(Nico)

It had been almost two weeks since Percy and Annabeth had fallen into Tartarus and since then we had been attacked constantly by everything Gaia could throw at us. It had taken days to get out of Italy alone, we had been attacked by Mountain Giants, (lesser children of Primordial Ourea) along the entire spine of Italy. Eventually we had been forced to touch down near where the Adriatic Sea meets the Mediterranean for repairs suffered in a Gryphon attack that had wrenched the steering to one side. As a result we had we were stuck flying in circles until Leo was able to fix it.

I was truly glad we had the son of Hephaestus on board, his always seemingly happy personality seemed to be the only thing keeping the rest of us out of depression from the constant monster attacks. However, after setting down on the sea all that had changed was the nature of the monster attacks, from aerial assaults to marine. Unfortunately for us, our resident ace in this environment was trapped in the pit of Tartarus.

We had even been attacked by a Kraken, unfortunately for it though the creature decided to shove its face near the bow of the ship and got itself barbecued by Festus's head for its trouble. Whilst that was happening Jason and I severed its tentacles and Piper kept Coach Hedge away from it. Her charm speak ability the only thing keeping him from jumping over the side and trying to club it to death. Sadly, after it was defeated we were left with nothing but an ink stain on the deck and the smell of burnt seafood, we could have done with some Calamari after the battle.

We had another run in with that pirate Chrysaor and his bag of goons, who had seemingly been punished by Gaia for letting us go due to their stupidity last time. But this time we had been ready for them and as soon as their new ship came within range of the Argo II, we had opened fire and watched their ship reduced to tinder in seconds as ballista and are new celestial bronze cannons raked the ship from bow to stern. We just had time to see the mask less figure of Chrysaor jump over the side before a Greek fire tipped ballista bolt blew the ship clean in half.

Now at last we were finally almost at our destination the temple of my father in Epirus. Where the mortal side of the doors was located, and where hopefully Percy and Annabeth were waiting to meet us.

I remembered my brief stint in Tartarus after I was captured by the giants and I certainly would not like to be there for two weeks. I had not even been attacked whilst there as I was already a prisoner, they would likely be constantly attacked, however.

Percy was the toughest demigod I knew but no one was invincible. Especially now that he had lost the Curse of Achilles but he was with Annabeth so there was some hope for them both. I just hoped my dad had agreed with the Iris message I had sent him to see if he could send some help to protect or guide them. But I clearly knew the undead or spirits would be of little use against Giants, so I did not hold out much hope on that front. All I could do was hope and pray that they would be alright when we met again.

As the shoreline became visible on the horizon the others joined me on the bow. Hazel and Frank holding hands while Jason and Piper held each other close. I guess Leo was still in the control room, he had taken to sleeping in there as he suspected a monster attack every time he went to the bathroom. Coach Hedge was probably watching martial arts movies again or Skyping Melli the Aura planning dates for when he was back Stateside. For all his flaws I will give him that he is an optimist, the rest of us suspected we were going to our dooms.

(Leo)

As I docked the ship in the port of Igoumenitsa, Epirus, I could not help but feel like this whole situation with Percy and Annabeth was my fault. I had taken Nemesis assistance underneath Rome and as a result they had paid the price. So, I was going to do everything I could to help them.