Chapter 13

The sky is colorless. Ashes dance around in the sky. An old woman is being held hostage. A single wooden chest lays at a guards feet, unburnt and unopened.

"Why have you not opened this? How is it not burnt?" Prince Kenreik asks, angry.

"It will never open!" The old woman sneers. "It is worthless to even try."

"Oh? Is it now?" The Prince says, turning to the old woman. "What is your name, hag?"

"I shall never tell." The old woman growls. The prince waves his hand to one of the guards holding her, and he pulls her hair hard, making her yell.

"How about now?" The Prince asks. The old woman closes her eyes and doesn't speak. "Oh. I see. Well, you can make up for your rudeness by telling me where Madam Jovena went."

The old woman stays silent. The prince laughs, then indicates to the guard to hurt her again. He let's go of her hair and punches her in the stomach. She jerks forward and gasps for breath.

"How about now?" the Prince questions.

"N-never, you bastard!" The old woman says strongly.

The Prince becomes cherry red and then moves forward, taking his dagger from its holster. "You will tell me now, hag, or you will die." The Prince threatens.

"I would rather die!" The old woman spits. Furious, the Prince shoves his dagger into the old woman's chest and the guards drop her into the ashes.

"Okay! Round up your belongings! And bring that chest, Garon." The prince demands.

All the soldiers salute and complete the orders given. Garon, the lead guard, and another man carry away the chest. Then, with the prince in front, they go back to the castle.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

The bright sunlight of the morning shines trough the stained glass windows of Jovena's room, waking her. She yawns and stretches, then looks around and smiles. For the first time in days she has slept in an actual bed without waking with a rock in her side. She glides out of bed in her creamy colored cotton nightgown and choses her dress for today, excited for the plans they are to make so they can get her dragon out from under Mount Izusa. She picks out a Topaz-blue full gown with simple white lace sprouting from the cuffs and collar. She lies that on her bed and then walks down the stairs. She is surprised to see Oscar coming out of the bathroom on the second flight clean and in a fresh, clean pair of clothes.

"Oh..." Oscar says, blushing. "I didn't know you were up."

"I just got up, actually." Jovena tells him. "I was going downstairs to look for food. Do you know where any is?"

"An elf delivered it early this morning. I didn't want to wake you, so I didn't. I hope that's okay?" Oscar asks.

"Of course! Thank you!" Jovena says, then heads down the stairs. Oscar follows.

"Its nuts and berries. Apparently they are vegetarians. They don't eat meat." Oscar says.

"I know what it means, Oscar. Thank you, though." Jovena tells him as the reach the landing.

"Umhmm." Oscar says. "I sat it on the table."

Jovena sits down at the table and Oscar sits opposite. A large selection of plump blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. A large selection of nuts lwas also available. Jovena picks up a strawberry and tastes it, sweet juice splashing onto her tounge.

After they finish eating, a knock sounds on the door. Jovena sits still as Oscar gets up and opens the door. An elf boy around Oscar's age stands there, a price of parchment in hand. He quickly hands it to Oscar and then darts away. Oscar closes the door and comes to sit back down. Then he reads the parchment out loud.

"You are requested by King Abimelech and Queen Azmariah of Eanruig to attend lunch and planning at Palace Aashiyana. No exceptions."

Jovena jumps up as soon as Oscar finishes and rushes up the stairs. Oscar rushes after her.

"Jo! What's wrong!?" Oscar shouts after Jovena. She doesn't answer but keep running. She reaches the second flight and then yanks open her door and slams the door shut behind her. Oscar slams into the door, surprised and falls back onto the ground. He stands up goes to the door, ignoring his pain.

"Jo! Wha-" Oscar cuts off as the door opens and Jovena comes out. She is in her fancy gown, holding it up so it doesn't fall down, barefoot.

"Can you lace it up?" Jovena says, turning around.

"S-sure." Oscar stutters. Gently, he takes the laces in his hand and laces up the back of her dress.

When the dress is all laced up, Jovena thanks him and goes back up to her room and finishes getting ready. Oscar closes the door for her and goes into his own room, then lies on his bed and smiles.