pt.2

Gabrielle knelt beside Xena as she tried to wake her.

GABRIELLE
Xena. Xena wake up.

Gabrielle shook her a little.

GABRIELLE
What's wrong? Come on Xena, this isn't funny. Get up.

She lightly tapped Xena's face.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

Gabrielle put her head to Xena's chest, listening for a heart beat. It was fine. She saw Xena was still breathing too.

GABRIELLE
What's going on?

Gabrielle looked around for help. No one else was around. Then in the distance she saw a small house.

GABRIELLE
Hold on Xena, I'll go find help.

Gabrielle stood up and began racing towards the house.

XENA
Where are you running off to?

Gabrielle turned around to see Xena getting back to her feet. She jogged back over to her.

GABRIELLE
What happened? One minute your fine. Then I turn around and your just laying in the middle of the road.

XENA
I don't know. Last thing I remember was you talking my ear off. Then the next thing I know I'm waking up on the ground.

GABRIELLE
Are you okay?

XENA
Yeah I think so.

Gabrielle held Xena's face, concerned. Trying to see if she could spot anything wrong. Xena took Gabrielle's hands in hers, feeling her worry.

XENA
I'm alright Gabrielle. Really. It's probably just a little fatigue. Nothing a good night's rest won't fix.

GABRIELLE
You passed out seemingly out of nowhere. Nice try Xena, but I'm not buying the whole "I'm just tired" story.

She knew she had no choice but to tell Gabrielle about the liquid she had ingested.

GABRIELLE
Xena what if that was some sort of poison? You don't know what it could do to you. Why would you keep something like that from me?

Xena placed her hands on Gabrielle's shoulders.

XENA
I'm sorry, I didn't want to worry you.

GABRIELLE
(sarcasm) Well you did a real good job with that.

XENA
I know. Come on, let's get going.

GABRIELLE
Are you sure you're okay?

XENA
I'm okay, I  promise.

Gabrielle reluctantly gave in and they kept moving. They continued on, making their way to the nearest city. Once inside,  they walked around browsing the shops. Xena hung back a bit, just watching as Gabrielle visited a couple stalls. When she done getting the few things they needed, Gabrielle returned with the items.

XENA
All set?

GABRIELLE
Yeah I think I got everything. Hey how 'bout we get something to eat.

XENA
Sounds good, I was thinking the same thing.

Xena and Gabrielle headed to the tavern to get some dinner. They got their food and sat at a table by themselves. As they ate, a few of the locals came over to the table. They had clearly been drinking.

MAN 1
Hey there, what's a couple of pretty ladies doing sitting all by themselves.

Xena glanced up at him.

XENA
Not interested.

The other man approached Gabrielle.

MAN 2
How 'bout you cutie?

GABRIELLE
Sorry, what she said.

One of the men pulled up a chair and sat at their table beside Gabrielle. The other next to Xena. Gabrielle rolled her eyes.

GABRIELLE
This is kind of a two person table.

MAN 1
Come on don't be like that. We just wanna have some fun.

The man who sat next to Xena put his arm around her. Gabrielle could tell from the look on Xena's face, that these men were about to be in trouble unless she did something.

GABRIELLE
You know it's been great talking to you. But we gotta get going.

She went to stand up to leave. The man beside her grabbed Gabrielle's shoulder, pushing back down into her seat. She could see Xena getting madder and madder. Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE
I tried. You guys are in for it now.

MAN 1
What are you talking about.

Xena grabbed the hand on her shoulder, squeezing it tight.

MAN 1
Gah. Let, go.

XENA
Oh don't be like that. I thought you wanted to have fun.

MAN 1
Okay, okay I'm sorry. We'll leave you alone.

Xena continued squeezing. Crushing his fingers. The man beside Gabrielle got up.

MAN 2
We get it. Let him go.

Xena just stared, refusing to release her grip. Squeezing tighter and tighter. The man cried out in pain as he felt his bones breaking.

MAN 1
GAH!

GABRIELLE
Okay Xena, I think they get the picture.

Xena didn't say anything, she just kept squeezing. Gabrielle saw a vacant look in Xena's eyes.

GABRIELLE
Xena.

Xena didn't respond.

GABRIELLE
Xena!

Gabrielle grabbed Xena's arm. Suddenly as if she had just woken up, Xena looked at Gabrielle in surprise.

MAN 1
Aaa!

Xena looked her her hand still locked tightly around the man's hand. She let go. The two men scurried away. Not wanting to risk any further pain.

GABRIELLE
Don't you think that was a little much.

Xena looked at her hand.

XENA
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

GABRIELLE
Let's just get out of here.

They got up and left. They made their way back out of the city. As they left Xena was deep in her own thoughts.

XENA
(thinking to herself) I really don't know what I was thinking. The last thing I remember was him putting his arm around me. Then Gabrielle grabbing me. Why don't I remember crushing that man's hand?

Gabrielle could see that Xena was deep in thought.

GABRIELLE
What's on your mind Xena?

Xena told her what she was thinking.

GABRIELLE
You really don't remember doing that?

XENA
No.

GABRIELLE
Do you think it could've been caused by the same thing that made you pass out?

XENA
Most likely.

GABRIELLE
If that's true, then we need to figure out what stuff was. And find the cure.

Xena agreed. With that they set out to go back to where Xena fought the cultists. They figured that would be the best place to start looking for answers. But little did they know, that Xena's condition was about to get far, far worse.

TO BE CONTINUED...