Transform Together (Olivia/Reiji)

Olivia Simmer tried never to let the insults pour into her dark skin: she was ugly, not attractive, the only girl in class who couldn't get a date, having ape-like skin, and when she told the teacher, the poor lady was told that those statements were a matter of preference.

Looking at herself with contempt, she struggled to maintain her parent's belief that she was just as beautiful as anyone else when the guys who made those remarks pushed her to the edge of the sidewalk to get splashed by an upperclassmen's car park on a puddle. Enduring their laughter even now at the beginning of high school, Olivia wished she could find a semblance of love from someone outside her family, including herself.

"Hey, need a shirt? Here, take mine."

She didn't recognize him, but the voice was familiar. The two headed into the same homeroom only for the teacher to ask why they were late and he was shirtless when she heard his name.

"Reiji Mamoru? You look so," unable to describe his abs, more confident face, slightly stronger muscular tone, in a word and settled for one, "different."

Reiji was immediately told to leave until he called out the guys who splashed them, getting them to join him. She heard a scuffle outside, but didn't see him until he surprised her by joining her on the back of the staircase where she'd usually eat lunch and read romance manga, claiming he saw her there. Olivia didn't ask, surprised someone else wanted him to join her.

After a few minutes, she asked him how the shy, silent nerdy, yet kind kid changed so much in a year.

"I've never really known who I am. I wasn't black enough for the black kids, asian enough for the asian kids, white enough for the white kids. And in middle school, I was so desperate to fit in, I did some awful stuff with some messed up people. But I don't want other people to tell me who I am. I don't want to change for anyone else anymore. I wanted to transform myself."

"Oh, I kinda get that. I don't think I can though."

"Really?"

"It'd be nice to be accepted for once," lowering her head.

Reiji took a napkin and wiped a stain off her face, lifting her head back up.

"I know what that's like, but you've always been amazing. I wasn't strong enough to say anything back then, but I'll accept you for who you are. Always wanted to."

As her face went red from her words, her heart raced further as he pointed to her heart.

"Someone once told me that it starts with loving yourself here."

Olivia suddenly teared up while nodding.

"Huh, did I do something wrong?"

She shook her head, hugging him while tears building up from months and years of stress and torment leaked from her eyes.

"I want to transform like you did."

"Then I got your back. Let's transform together!"