VII

In the call, loudspeaker activated :

Paul : Jennifer ? Hi ?

Josh, shocked when he heard the man's voice. He doesn't say a word. He listens.

Paul : I know you don't want to talk to me. But be sure I love you more than this guy loves you, I know you're dating someone named Josh, but I know that you love him just for his fortune. I'd like you to forget the bad memories, I swear to you, that I won't betray you. How to live without you, Jennifer. Talk to me, please. I want to hear your voice.

Josh who was just listening. He looked at Jennifer, and remember the kiss from last night, which he thought was a love kiss, but now knows it was just a fake greed kiss.

Josh : She'll probably call you again later.

Josh hung up. He looks at Jennifer, mad.

Josh : Since when all this? Since when do you love him?
Jennifer : Who are you talking about ?
Josh : I don't like lies.
Jennifer : But I'm not lying. I don't know him.
Josh : I beg your pardon.
Jennifer : Why ?
Josh : First, because I get involved in your personal life, I don't have that right, there's nothing between us. Second, for yesterday's kiss. I shouldn't do that.

Josh stands up.

Josh : Unfortunately, you're a good liar. Sorry. Sadly.

Jennifer, with a broken heart, no longer knows how to defend herself.
They ride the car.

In Kelly room. Everyone is laughing. For them, the mission was successful.
Paul smiled.

Paul : Who was that man?
Kelly : Josh.
Mandy : The mission is well accomplished.

Paul looked at them, confused.

Paul : When are you going to say it's just a prank?
Kelly and Mandy : Later.

Monday.
Josh and Jennifer didn't talk.
The day is over. Jennifer rushes to Josh.

Jennifer : Are you not going to talk to me?

Josh remains silent.
Out of pride, Jennifer goes downstairs. She leaves the building, and stops a taxi.

Josh watches her from a distance. He doesn't say a word. He's just thinking.

Josh : Did I love the wrong person ?

Jennifer comes home. She finds her mother too ill. They took an uber, and go to the hospital.

Arriving at the hospital, the doctor tells her that her mother needs to stay in the hospital for a few weeks.
Jennifer enters her mother's room. Mrs. Moore's already asleep.

Jennifer : I never felt so alone. I never wanted to go through this situation. When Padre died, you didn't want me to feel that he was gone. You hid the word father. Living without you is hard, Mamá. Don't go away. Wake up. Do you hear me ? Te echo de menos. I miss your hugs. If you really need a heart. I give you mine, just to live.

Jennifer starts crying. She stands up, then kisses her mother's hand.

Jennifer : Te quiero, Mamá. Don't leave me alone, please.

Jennifer falls asleep at night next to her mother in the hospital. She didn't want to go home without her.
In the morning, she didn't go to work.

Josh goes to work. He finds Mrs. Hale, the substitute teacher in Jennifer's classroom.

Josh : Michelle ? Haven't you seen Jennifer?
Michelle : She called me this morning, she told me she's not coming.
Josh : You didn't ask her why?
Michelle : Yes. Because her mother is in the hospital.

In the evening, Jennifer still sits near her mother.
Suddenly the door opened.
Josh enters. He acts like Jennifer isn't there.
He takes a chair and sits down in front of the sleeping mother.

Jennifer : Thank you for coming, Josh. Kindly.
Josh : Can you go out for 5 minutes, Miss Moore ?

She's surprised by his behaviour which quickly changed.
Sadly, she said, "Okay."
She walks out and closes the door.

He touches Mrs. Moore's hand.

Josh : When Jennifer came on the first day, I knew how blessed I am to have met her. She's also lucky to have a mother like you, who tries to make her happy. These months I saw a different girl, I met a lot of girls in my life, Jennifer is too special. There is this innocence, kindness, generosity. When I first met you, I finally knew where Jennifer's qualities come from. The good part is that I loved her. I can't deny it. The worse part is this weekend something bad happened. I don't even know his name, this guy's name. Many things are against what she's saying. Should I believe her, or else she doesn't love means it's just a waste of time. I'm confused. I would like you to wake up and answer me. Your presence is important to all of us. This disease is not stronger than your goodness and your strength...

Jennifer enters.

Jennifer : I'm sorry. I forgot my purse.

Josh didn't say anything.

Jennifer exploded how she feels after everything that happened.

Jennifer : I know you don't want to talk to me. But I didn't do anything. I swear to you. If you don't like lies, I can say I hate them. I've never lied to you. I don't care if you don't want to believe me. But honestly, after you know the truth, don't come talk to me. And thank you so much for listening, this time.

She takes her purse and leaves angrily.
Josh, alone in front of Jennifer's mother.

Josh : You must know that you are the only one who can help me. Wake up, please hermosa tia. With the heartbroken.

Jennifer comes home.

The next day, in the evening. Jennifer returns in a taxi, which stops just in front of the building.

Security guard : Good evening, Miss Moore. A young man was waiting for you a few minutes ago.
Jennifer : Where is he ?

The security guard gestured to the cafe in front of the building.

Jennifer : Diego ?

The man comes running to hug her.

Josh arrives, he spots Jennifer cuddling an unknown man. Then she and the young man return home.
Josh remains speechless.
He felt anger deep inside him. Then he goes home.