Prologue

"Silverpelt will fade, and at moonhigh, the moon will turn to blood. The first will bring heroes, the next evil, the last war."

     A ginger cat jolted awake, and scurried out of a little cave. She looked upon the faded stars and faded moon. Was that Starclan, or are the days and nights of sorting herbs finally getting to me? No cat in the Forest or Fields has had contact from Starclan for moons. A voice called from another cave not too high above.

     "Quick! Owlflower is Kitting! Wake the Medicine Cats!" A Gray cat emerged from the same cave.

     "Let's Go, Alanipaw." The cat nodded. Alanipaw grabbed a herb bundle, and ran down to the nursery with the gray cat, and began to help.

     The first kit arrived, but it didn't seem healthy. It was smaller and a bit shrivelled, and wouldn't survive. The she was wailing, and it was best she didn't know about her unhealthy kit. Another arrived, looking the same. Its breathing slowed, along with its sibling. Alanipaw looked towards her mentor for instructions. The gray cat shook her head, as a signal that there was nothing they could do. Suddenly, a dark gray she-kit emerged from her mother, immediately searching for milk. This kit looked very healthy, what could have done that? This made no sense. Both Alanipaw and her Mentor were very confused.

     "Oh! It feels, healthy." The blind medicine cat exclaimed. "Uh, Alanipaw! Go fetch some moss from the camp walls, quickly now." The medicine cat commanded. Alanipaw hustled outside the den, but the light of the moon caught her eye. It was the colour of blood, like Starclan said. It couldn't be, that one kit? Was the kit's kin not surviving part of the prophecy?