Answers Always Have More Questions Following

Sagepaw rubbed her eyes with one of her paws. Emeraldpaw is real! Did this mean the rest were, too? She tried to figure out if he was as shocked as Sagepaw. He certainly didn't look it. Emeraldpaw's blank expression was unsettling, and they hadn't exactly left on a great note. That is, if the dream was shared with all five cats.

     "Why don't you and Sagepaw get to know each other a bit better. Deeppool and I have some things to discuss, anyways." Vinestream suggested.

     She found that a bit weird, as they were from different clans. But she left anyway, following Emeraldpaw out of earshot along the border. They sat in silence. The apprentices stared at each other for a moment, waiting for the other cat to speak first.

     Emeraldpaw broke the silence. "So, Sagepaw for real this time?" He questioned. "I hope you remember the dream."

     "It was real!" Sagepaw exclaimed. A moment of realisation hit her. "It was real. Does this mean the forest will burn like that?"

          "Possibly. Assuming that Skypaw and Cherrypaw shared the dream with us, we should be able to find out more at the upcoming gathering. As for Adderpaw, I'm not sure."

          "You seem very calm about this, you know, finding out it was real and everything." Sagepaw added.

     "I knew it was real. I had met Skypaw before, and had seen Cherrypaw."

     "You could've said something!" Sagepaw yelled.

     Emeraldpaw was unbothered. "That doesn't matter now. What you need to worry about is going to that gathering. You have a half moon, make it count."

     Emeraldpaw was right, this would be no easy feat. The gatherings seem to grow more exclusive each moon. Each clan is allowed only 3 apprentices to bring, based on skill level alone. Only once every new-leaf the rules could bend. This meant she was not only up against Acepaw and Archenpaw, but Gingerpaw and Leanpaw. They were apprentices when Sagepaw was born, and were on track to be warriors before dead-leaf began. She really had to impress Deeppool.

    Wet mud covered Sagepaw's feet. The heavy rain had stopped, only a sprinkle remained, falling from the sky ever so often. Her and Berrypaw circled on a flat rock, claws still sheathed. Deeppool and Spottedstone were watching from the sidelines. This was her last opportunity to prove she was able to go to the gathering. If she didn't beat Berrypaw, that chance would be scrapped. Deeppool had told Sagepaw to take an attack in steps, so she did. The rock they were going to spar on was soaked with water, very easy to slip on. Berrypaw's hind legs were moving significantly stronger than her front legs, telling Sagepaw she was preparing to pounce first. Berrypaw was much stronger than Sagepaw, but not as fast. So she was going to use that to her advantage.

     Berrypaw pounced, moving straight towards Sagepaw. She pushed against the rock with her back leg, sending her sliding out of the way. Both Berrypaw and Sagepaw spun out of control. Berrypaw was back on her feet faster than Sagepaw was, and she was moving towards her with little traction keeping her on her feet. Before Sagepaw could get up, she found herself pinned to the rock by Berrypaw. She pawed at Berrypaw's face, pushing her off. They both jumped to their feet.

     "That's enough, it's getting dark." Spottedstone called. "You two deserve some rest. Good job today."

     Berrypaw quickly seized her aggressive stance. "That sliding thing you did was so cool!"

     "Thanks, Berrypaw!" Sagepaw replied. "You're a lot stronger than I remember."

     Berrypaw smiled, and ran off to Spottedstone. Sagepaw looked towards Deeppool.