Knowledge is Just Annoying, Not Power

The sky was dark, and the camp quiet. Most of the clan were at the gathering. Only Halfstep, Deeppool, Corruptedsky, Applebreeze, their apprentices and the kits remained. Sagekit's mother was gone, and she was the only one in the nursery. Halfstep was watching her own kits, Glacierkit, Swiftkit, Ivykit and Berrykit. Berrykit was adopted by Halfstep when her mother died, and was also Sagekit's only friend. Glacierkit, Ivykit and Swiftkit growled and chased Sagekit away when she approached them. Petalrush and Alanipaw said Owlflower shouldn't try to adopt other kits, because of what happened when Sagekit was born. Apparently, Sagekit had two siblings who died at birth. Midnightstorm, her father's brother, blamed her for it. But her father, Luckystar, or Owlflower didn't. They said it wasn't her fault. This left Sagekit and Berrykit alone. Suddenly, a strong scent of cats wafted over the clan. Many voices grew louder, and cats flooded in. Luckystar immediately jumped onto the cold rock to call a meeting.

     "All cats swift enough to surprise their enemies gather around the cold rock for a clan meeting!" The leader yowled, his voice echoing. Sagekit abandoned the kits and queens in the nursery to watch and listen to the clan meeting from the cave entrance.

     "As you may know, two apprentices mind as well just saved all the clans from trouble, by picking up a badger scent during the gathering, and chasing it off. I as well as Midnightstorm and Hyenaheart feel they are ready for their warrior names. Copperpaw and Smokepaw, please step forward." New warriors, interesting. This doesn't happen often in Iceclan. The training period of a warrior is abnormally long here. Iceclan is seen as the weakest clan amongst the four, because new warriors are rare. What actually happens is each apprentice spends extra time with their mentors, and are trained specific to their skill sets only. Iceclan warriors are itching for a battle, to finally show off.

     "I, Luckystar, leader of Iceclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn. Copperpaw, Smokepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect this clan, even at the cost of your life?"

     The two apprentices looked at each other for a moment, then mewed boldly in sync, "I do."

     "Then, by the powers of Starclan, I give you both your warrior names. Copperpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Coppershine. Starclan honours you courage and bravery. Smokepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Smokeant. Starclan honours your quick-wits and swiftness. We welcome you both as full warriors of Iceclan. Meeting dismissed."

     "Coppershine! Smokeant!" The clan chanted. As the new warriors began their vigil, Sagekit padded back to her mother's nest, tired.

     A blind she-cat poked her head in. "Sagekit! How are you, any signs of fever, hungry maybe?"

     "Why are you so nosy, Petalrush. You're always poking around in other cat's business."

     "Just doing my job!" The she-cat shrugged nervously. She did that a lot. Weirdly. Just then, Owlflower came back from the fresh-kill pile.

     "Petalrush! How are you." Owlflower mewed. She dropped a plump vole in front of Sagekit.

     Petalrush half-whispered, "I'm good, thanks. Actually I needed to speak to you, privately." This also happened a lot. Sagekit was used to it. She already knew she was part of a prophecy, and that she was special, and that's why all the senior warriors and medicine cats treated her weird. Sagekit didn't really want to be important, but she didn't have a choice. She didn't like the expectations that came with the job, you know? Sagekit listened in as Owlflower and Petalrush, spoke not-so-quietly about her. Berrykit padded into the cave.