Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12: Nᴇɪʟ..? ♡︎

I woke up hearing screaming. I shot up from the bed and ran out the room. I saw Hopper watching tv. "What was that?" I asked looking around. "Oh it was just the tv, sorry for waking you up kiddo." He said. "It's fine, I just got scared." I said heading back to the room.

I saw El still asleep on the bed. She was in a fetal position on the edge of the bed. I got into bed with her and moved her closer to me by the waist. She stirred awake slowly, since she is quite the light sleeper. "hmmsh" she mumbled. "What?" I asked laughing.

She didn't answer, she just put her head on my chest and went back to sleep. I giggle by her actions and cuddled her. I was playing with her hair when I heard the phone ring inside her room. I slowly got up trying not to wake her. I went to the phone and answered it.

Max: Hello?
Neil: Maxine Mayfield.
Max: Neil?
Neil: It's dad to you, anyways where have you been!? It's been 3 days since you've last been home!
Max: Oh.. I've been sleeping over at El's house.
Neil: Of course you are, you know what Maxine, you're a fucking worthless dyke.
Max: N-Neil..I-
Neil:ITS FUCKING DAD! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO FUCKING TELL YOU?! AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME, YOUR ASS IS NEVER SEEING EL AGAIN! DO YOU FUCKING HEAR ME MAXINE?
Max: ...
Neil: I SAID DO YOU HEAR ME?!
Max: y-yes sir..
Neil: That's what I thought. Be home in 10 minutes or you're literally dead.

And with that he hung up. I was about to burst into tears, scared of what Neil was going to do. I ran into the bathroom and locked the door. I started crying hard and shaking. Someone started knocking on the door.

"Max..?" I instantly knew who that was by their soft voice. "Max please let me in." She said. "I uh-" I started but didn't know what to say. "Max. Please let me in." She said starting to worry. I hesitated but unlocked the door and opened it.

She saw my red puffy eyes. "Aw Max.." she said hugging me like there was no tomorrow. I hugged back. We sat on the floor while I just cried on her shoulder in her arms. She was brushing my hair with her fingers attempting to calm me down.

Fortunately it worked. "What happened?" She asked me pulling away. "I uh.. it's N-Neil.." I said about to cry again. "What did he say?" She. I stayed quiet fidgeting with my fingers. "Max. What did he say?" She asked again with a more stern voice.

"Um.. he uh-" I couldn't find the words. "It's okay, take your time, I'm patient." She said rubbing my shoulder. "He said, Once I get home he's going to.. hurt me.. and I'm never aloud to see you again and he called me a worthless dyke." I said starting to cry again.

"HE WHAT!?" She said in shock and anger. "HELL NO. HES NOT GOING TO LAY A FUCKING FINGER ON YOU! IM TELLING HOPPER. YOURE NOT GOING TO HIS HOUSE, HES NOT GOING TO HURT YOU FOR AS LONG AS IM ALIVE!" She yelled. "I- I'm sorry I got carried away-" she started but I cut her off with a hug.

"Thank you.." I said smiling with tears. She hugged back. "Of course" she said rubbing my back. "Until Hopper gets back, you're staying here." She said getting up. "But what if she shows up..?" I asked worried. "Dont worry, he doesn't know where I live, plus everything is locked." She said smiling.

"Oh okay." I said getting up to. We went to the living room to watch tv and cuddle. Usually I cuddle El, but this time it was the opposite. I was on her lap and she was stroking me hair. We were both falling asleep. That's when we heard..

Knock. Knock. Knock.

675 words

(IM SOO SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER AND ME TAKING FOR EVER TO UPLOAD. School has been hard lately and I've honestly just been depressed with no motivation to write. But I'll try to upload more often I promise.)