Chapter 23: Reconciliation

I treated Rosemary's wounds, changed her clothes, laid her on her bed and administered drips for her. I tried my best to clean and tidy up the hideout but most of the place was already severely damaged and permanently stained with blood. I changed my clothes to a gray shirt, brown trousers, and black sandals. I went over the security cameras but couldn't find any footage of how my adversary or the zombies entered, how Peter developed the cure or who attacked him and stole the two capsules. I stumbled upon a footage which showed that someone had opened the door which held both Mum and Rosemary. The two had stumbled outside only to be chased by zombies. Then a door suddenly closed in-between them and separated them, causing Mum to take another path to lead the zombies away while Rosemary continued, found a gun she could and proceeded until she inevitably found me.

Of course, there were also clips of me ruthlessly killing everyone I met, and there was none of when my adversary met me in the white room. I scratched my head and sighed as I stood up and left the control room. I plundered on what to do as I walked down a hallway. I wanted to go and find Ana quickly, but given the state that Rosemary was in, I couldn't abandon her here all alone, especially since I promised mother I would protect her.

But what did she meant by her protecting me? I wondered.

Two days later, as I came to add another drip to Rosemary and hope that she woke up, I noticed that she was shaking and sweating profusely. She shook her head sideways and tightened her eyes. Her hands tightly gripped the bedsheets, and she looked as someone experiencing a bad dream.

"Stop! Stop!!", she exclaimed and shook more violently than before. I immediately held her down to restrain her and tried to calm her down.

"It's okay Rosemary!", I exclaimed while holding her down, "Calm down!".

"Stop it!", she screamed, woke out from her sleep and surprisingly, was able to toss me off the bed. I immediately got back to my feet and saw Rosemary staring at me with pure deep hatred and bloodshot eyes. Then she reverted back to normal, looked round and held her head as she started receiving headaches.

I paused for a while before asking, "Are you alright?".

She looked at me angrily and replied, "Get out".

"Not until you tell me what's going on", I replied as I moved towards her.

"I said get out!", she exclaimed while reaching for her drawer which was close to her bed and brought a revolver. She further added, "Monster".

I paused, then sighed and said, "Okay. What would you like to eat?".

"I'll cook for myself. Just leave me alone".

I did as she ordered and left, and for four more days she refused to neither talk to me nor let me take care of her. She saw to her own needs and surprisingly treated herself better than I would have. She cooked her own meals and ate in her room. On the second day I looked for her because I thought she had left, only for me to find her grieving among the graves of the deceased. I watched for a while before leaving, not wanting to upset her with my presence.

On the fourth day's evening, I was washing the dishes when I heard a noise coming from her room. I left the dishes and cautiously walked towards her room. I called out to her but got no reply. When I saw the door was slightly opened, I pushed it open and a bucket suddenly fell and landed on my head, blocking my sight. It was then that I heard Rosemary's voice.

"Die!!!", she exclaimed and fired all six shots from her revolver, all of which hit me on the vitals. I fell backwards and landed on the ground, with my back against the wall. Blood gushed out from my wounds, and I looked as though I was dead, making Rosemary to sigh in relief and say, "Finally, he's dead".