Catching Up

"Well," Koshuu said, scratching his head, considering you were in a coma for two months, I'd say you look good. But geez...That's a lot to process."

"Yeah, well, um, that's why I didn't contact you. I couldn't," Chiisai replied. Her appetite had quickly dissipated while she had explained the last three months of her life.

She stared down at her half eaten shokupan, laying in a napkin on the conference table. Her coffee was just as chilled as she felt.

Not too long ago, she had lay here, half-conscious and bleeding to death. And Mizuki had still been alive.

"I'm a little confused though," he said. "Everyone was only out for a few hours."

Chiisai focused her line of sight on his grey pullover. His shoulders were tense. "I already had a concussion, and when that sleeping thing hit, I fell hard," she said, tapping the side of her head. "I was in pretty bad shape and was put in a private part of the hospital for research. Turns out, I'm just an average citizen with some bad luck."

He crossed his arms and looked away. It was quiet for a moment before he muttered, "And...you and Kakashi?"

She followed the movement of his neck towards the window. From here, she could see the outline of Kakashi's frame leaning against the wall. He could probably hear everything they were saying.

"We're...seeing each other. We may also be...living together," she added weakly. Her heart beat quickly as she said it.

"Wait, wait, hold up." He put his hands out, clearly confused. He leaned forward and said, "Say that again?"

She laid her hands flat on the table and forced out, "Kakashi and I are dating, and we're living together."

Koshuu laughed- it made Chiisai blink in surprise.

But then he must have seen her expression, and the laughter died on his lips. His voice hardened as he said, "You're serious? Because the Chiisai I know hates ninja, and Kakashi's the most textbook shinobi in the village." He crossed his arms again and added, "You're gonna have to explain that one to me."

She scratched her head. "Look, when I finally woke up, the Hokage placed Kakashi as sort of my...medical aide again. We got close during my recovery."

He furrowed his brows and asked, "What on earth do you two have in common?"

Heh, trauma. Lots of trauma.

"Look, we both have a troubled past, alright? Besides," she muttered, "he's a lot nicer than he looks."

At least those weren't lies.

"Uh-huh." Koshuu sighed and added, "I'm probably the closest thing you have to a friend Chiisai, and I have to say, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the power dynamic between you two."

"I know," she replied, crossing her legs. She looked down at her fingernails and added, "Kakashi's totally not prepared for my stubbornness."

His tone shifted. "Chiisai."

She gestured as she explained, "Koshuu, you know I don't make decisions like this on a whim. He had every opportunity to take advantage of me while I was recovering. I was a mess, mentally and physically, and he only showed me kindness. I can't tell you how many times that man has cleaned up my vomit without complaining. And before you say he could have used his Sharingan on me, I know how to break out of a genjutsu."

There was a moment of silence before he asked, "Did you learn that from Itachi Uchiha?"

Shit- she really should have erased more. She asked, "How much do you remember from that day?"