Back to Reality

The Sun sat high in the sky as Kakashi and Chiisai made their way through the busy streets. Chiisai's fingers curled around his gloved hand as he led her through the market, and once every few minutes he gently squeezed her fingers, reassuring himself that she was beside him.

"How are the contacts holding up?" He asked.

"There hasn't been a nightmare yet," she replied in a low voice. They slid past a crowded stall, and he felt Chiisai stiffen as he guided her against the flow of traffic. Usually, the villagers parted like waves wherever he went, but they all glanced at Chiisai, at his hand now on the small of her back.

It was strange to him, these new feelings. Touching Chiisai was like a drug, and he constantly wanted to see her smile, to hear her laugh, to feel the weight of her against him. She had possessed him, and he had let her consume him, had let her overtake his thoughts like an approaching storm.

Love, he had found, was an enigma, and he was gambling far more than he had bargained for.

Whispers from the villagers rang in his ears, but he ignored it, continuing through the tight space, his hand know wrapped around Chiisai's again. He wasn't fond of gossip himself, but if it kept Chiisai popular, kept her away from Danzo, then he was all for it. The man hadn't made a move yet, and now that they were back in the village, he was the only adversary left. Of course, now that he thought about it, when had they returned to Konoha, and what had become of Iwagakure's spy? Time was a blur.

"Are you even listening?" Chiisai asked, pulling on his hand.

"Hmm?" The jonin stopped and glanced down at Chiisai. "What did you say?"

Sighing, she tugged on his arm again and pointed, "Can we go in there?"

They had left the market and had turned to a less populated road. The buildings were older and placed farther apart, a once high end area now ruined by age and time. His eye followed her finger to a large house on the left. It's wooden fence we're only old logs slanted in the rocky dirt, and the bushes behind them were dead, choked out by weeds and thorns.

Odd, it reminded him of his childhood home. It was a large wooden house, but he didn't need his keen vision to see the cracks of paint running up and down the walls, or the floorboards that had rotted on the front porch.

He turned to her, his brow furrowed. "Why would you want to go in there?"

"I want to see them," she replied, pointing again. "Can't you see them?"

The wrinkle between his eyebrows only deepened. He glanced back at the building. The double doors were now glass, and his eye widened at the people inside. His father, mother, Minato-Sensei, Kushina, Rin, Obito; they were all there, their faces pressed against the door in anticipation.

Chiisai pulled on his arm, but Kakashi didn't move. The others smiled as they ushered them in. And why wouldn't they? Their gazes set on Chiisai, eager to meet the woman that had stolen his heart. Obito would waste no time embarrassing him, he was sure, and his father he knew would welcome Chiisai with open arms.

Kakashi wanted to run to them, to get inside so he could finally be with them. But he knew that was impossible. He would remain on this side of the glass for a long time- he had  begrudgingly accepted that fate long ago.

However, Kakashi did want Chiisai to know them. Shouldn't someone he cherished meet others he cherished? But something felt wrong, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. This wasn't the right time for them to see each other. Maybe one day they would all be together again, without any wars or failed missions. For now, he still needed Chiisai with him.