Chapter Five

Arianna paced her room anxiously as she waited for Bessy to finish filling her bath. She glanced at the beautiful blue gown that she was to don in a few minutes, it was exquisite, maybe the most beautiful gown she had ever worn. Its neck line plunged daringly into her cleavage and left little to the imagination. She was excited about the ball, its a pity she would have to leave but she would not marry a man who refuses to be in her company on a night such as this.

It was their engagement celebration for christ sakes. She had met Lady Claudia Benjamin, Baroness of Merlin and sister to the cad she was to marry. She found her to be quite friendly. They had gone riding earlier in today, she had tried to make excuses for her brother but there is nothing that can excuse his nonchalant behaviour.

"Bessy do hurry along, the sooner we get me ready, the sooner we leave," Bessy was not too keen on leaving as she had made friends since coming here, the only reason why she was assisting her was because she missed Ben and wanted to be with him.

"Ari be patient, we will leave there is no need to haste me so, I hate the idea of us travelling by night," she complained sourly as she poured the last jug of water into her bath. She moved extremely slow as she sprinkled the water with scented oils. Arianna knew she was trying to rile her so she decided on ignoring her.

She grew more nervous as she watched Bessy curling her hair through the looking glass, she had brushed it until it shone and was now curling it. The curls fell gently down her back.

Her father had always called her his little beauty. Her startling blue orbs provided a strong but flattering contrast to her shiny black tresses. Her lips were bright pink and slightly puffy giving her an appealing look.

She stood still as Bessy fitted the beautiful gown over her head. She twirled in delight at she glanced down at her dress. Its a pity Ryan won't see her in it. She frowned slightly as her thoughts, now where did that come from?

She was shocked at the amount of persons at the ball, she had been introduced to every one in attendance, after an hour her feet were sore and she was praying for the dinner to begin so she could slip away. Bessy had made four cloth bags, they were filled with a few necessities and hidden close to the creek.

"Good evening Lady Arianna, I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you," Arianna turned away from Claudia to see a tall fare skinned man, he was extremely handsome. His hair the colour of honey and steel grey eyes which were now trained directly on her.

"I am Viscount Phillipe Chandler, cousin to your groom and I must say he is quite lucky to have such a beautiful bride," Arianna blushed at his words. He gently raised her hand to place a small chaste kiss.

"Thank you my Lord," she answered.

"May I have this dance Countess?" He asked as the band began a new tune. She smiled as she gave him her hand. He kept her at the appropriate distance as they danced, they spoke easily as they floated around the dance floor. He was a charming man, she thought as the music came to an end.

"Thank you, it was a pleasure meeting you,"

"It was nice meeting you too my Lord."

"You should realise that this family isn't big on formalities, call me phillipe" she blushed under his intense glare.

"Would you like something to drink Arianna?" He asked suddenly. She felt uncomfortable in his company, there was something about the way he looked at her. She needed to get away from him.

"Yes thank you my lor- um Phillipe," he smiled satisfactorily as he turned to get some punch. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Bessy beckoning to her from serving table across the hall, it was time to leave. She quickly glanced around to ensure that no one was noticing her as she slipped away.