Chapter Seven

Arianna woke with a start, drenched in sweat, she slowly sat up in her bed. That was a really intense dream. She blushed as vivid images of her wrapped in Ryan's arms assaulted her subconscious. It was still dark out as no light was coming in through the curtains, she glanced up at the small clock on her vanity table, it was four thirty, just nine and a half hours left before she became the new Duchess of Lancaster.

She flopped back in the bed, she knew there was no hope of her falling back to sleep, she was just too nervous.

She thought about the conversation she had with Ryan in the garden the day before, she was determined to make their marriage an amicable one, she was not going to lead a miserable life and if he thought for a minute that he was going to just toss her aside, he had quite a surprise coming.

She smiled as she recalled the feel of his lips on hers, he aroused feelings she had no business feeling. Was that how it would be when they made love? Though that would not be happening tonight but it would happen eventually, he was going to be her husband after all.

After tossing in the bed for what seemed like a lifetime, Arianna kicked off the covers and slipped from the bed and strolled tiredly towards the wide windows and pulled aside the curtains to see the view and as soon as she saw the lake a brilliant idea came to her.

She tiptoed pass the rooms as she did not want to wake anyone for then they would put a stop to her little escapade, she could just imagine the cool water lapping against body.

Liz had told her that the lake is safe for swimming and had promised to take her there but because of all the wedding buzz they did not get a chance to go.

As she stepped out on back balcony she couldn't help but notice the white chairs that lined the lawn, they were facing the gazebo in which she would exchange her wedding vows later that day.

She smiled in pleasure as she took in the sight, it was beautiful. She just wished that she was marrying a man who loved and adored her.

She was shocked out of her reverie by the sound of voices behind her, she rushed quickly down the stone path which led to the lake.

Arianna inhaled the crisp morning air as she stood at the edge of the small lake, she used her toes to test the temperature of its contents, it was chilly but that was how she liked it, she walked slowly into the water until it was a little way above her waist. The water felt amazing against her body. She dived under the water, twisting and turning her body as she explored the lake.

Arianna noticed the sun peaking out over the hills, she hadn't realised that she was swimming so long, she moved quickly towards the shore but froze as she noticed Ryan standing on the shore, his eyes were hard and held an angry glint.

Crap! She thought. She risked looking up at him again, his black hair was dishevelled giving him a sinfully sexy look, she swallowed nervously as her traitorous eyes slid lower, his cream shirt was open, exposing his rock hard torso, she felt a pool of heat forming in the pit of her stomach as she imagined her body pressed tightly against his.

She shook her head in an effort to rid herself of such thoughts.

"I-I woke early and decided to take a swim," she explained lamely.

"You know, I fail to understand how someone can be so senseless, do you have any idea the danger you put yourself in by coming out here alone!!!!" His voice rose with each word that passed his lips. She hung her head as she did not want to anger him anymore.

"Get out of the water! You could catch your death swimming in that cold water, are you an idiot?!" Arianna cheeks flushed as she felt her anger stirring.

"I have never met someone so absent minded,"

"Will you just be quiet? The point is I am not hurt nor am I ill," Arianna answered, she could not keep quiet and allow him to speak her like a child.

"You could have been kidnapped or worst!!! Haven't you noticed how far you are from the Manor, no would have heard you if you had gotten into trouble and screamed. You need to think before you act Arianna because I will not be your nanny,"

"What do you care if anything happens to me? You have made it painfully clear that you do not want me here!"

"Is that so?" He was before her in a matter of seconds. His eyes expressed the anger that he was feeling.

Suddenly she was in his arms, and his lips were on hers. She shivered from the frisson of passion shooting through her body, she tried pushing away from him but he held her firmly in his arms, she could feel her resistance weakening as the effect of his expert lips created havoc on her body.

He lifted his head slowly, never easing grip on her

"What are you doing to me?" he whispered. His eyes heavy with desire. Suddenly his arms fell from around her and his eyes hardened. "You really are a temptess, but you will never make me accept you,"

Arianna felt her insides crumble at his words. She swallowed a sob as she looked up at him.

"You are such a bastard," she said softly. "You are the one who keeps chasing me and kissing me, yet I am the one being blamed, just leave me be for I have no interests in you. You are a manipulator and the only thing that I am guilty of is being stupid enough to think that you have one caring bone in your body," she pushed passed him and grabbed up her garments. By now she was shivering but she was just too upset to stop and put on her dress.

She cannot believe how stupid he has been. She allowed him to violate her body then call her a whore. It must never happen again.

She rushed into the house and ran quickly up the stairs, it was when she was in the sanctity of her temporary bed that she released the painful tears that rocked her body.

She cried for the true love that she would never know and for the miserable life that she seemed destined to live.