Sekai: chapter 5

Lakota, Madison, and Lady Leigh had already begun to eat by the time I got home. They welcomed me back and I sat down.

“Hey, where did you get that necklace?” asked Madison while pointing her finger at me.

“Oh, this? Demetry gave it to me,” I said as I admired the beautiful jewel hanging off of my neck. I noticed Lakota was looking at it funny.

“May I see it?” she asked and held her hand out.

I unclipped it and set it down in her palms, she carefully examined it. When she handed it back she seemed relieved.

“Anne, I think we should go to that house you saw the wolf go into,” recommended Lakota.

“What’s this all of the sudden?” I asked, puzzled.

“We think he might be the missing link. I mean think about it, he got through the barrier and managed to escape us feeling his presence for hours!” exclaimed Madison.

“Still what if it’s not, we need to take more action before we go find him,” I said softly but the truth is that I wouldn’t mind looking for the wolf under normal circumstances, I’m just afraid of that look he gave me. What if he knows something I don’t? I don’t know what I’ll do.

“She has a point girls,” Lady Leigh interrupted my thoughts. “Perhaps we should investigate more. We already know about Anne’s owl, I’m sure one of you can do something different.”

“But Anne’s owl can become invisible to other people,” whined Lakota.

“Wait a minute; I think the wolf could see the owl!” I exclaimed.

“And why is that?” asked Madison curiously.

“Well in the vision he stared right at it and ran,” I said as a crash came from the basement. We all stared at each other for a moment and ran down the stairs. The wolf had come in through the window; his side was bleeding although it was hard to see because he was pitch black. The wound didn’t seem to come from the glass. Madison rushed over to him while he strived to get away.

“Don’t worry I’m not going to hurt you. Just sit still, it will only take a second,” she put her hand out and surrounded it with water which she gently washed the wound with. “Get the first aid kit Anne!”

“Y-yes,” I said while gaping at the gash on his side. I rushed to the cabinet and pulled out a white box. Madison unhinged the lock on the side, there were gauze and band aids and other things I had never seen before stuffed in the small box. She took out a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some gauze. When she patted it onto the wound the wolf yelped in pain. I could understand his feeling, when I was little my mom use to use that to clean my cuts. I was a clumsy child and always fell. My eyes began to tear up thinking about my family.

“Is he gonna be okay?” asked Lakota with a look of fascination and fear on her face.

“Yeah, he’ll be fine he just needs some time to heal,” said Madison as she sighed with relief.

“I wonder what did this to him,” I said quietly. The wolf looked at me and I began to get dizzy, a vision came into my head. I saw Jordan attacking him with two other boys, I couldn’t make out their features but they both looked familiar. The vision faded as I took a big breath, I had stopped breathing. “It was the demons!”

“What are you talking about?” asked Madison with a worried look on her face.

“The demons hurt him; he just gave me a vision. It was just outside the forest. We need to go attack them!” I exclaimed as I ran up the stairs. The others followed me, except for Lady Leigh who stayed with the wolf. We sprinted across the courtyard into the trees. Sweat rolled down my face as I panted and tried to speed up. We stopped just inside the barrier so the boys could only see the trees, one of them had left. They were searching for where the wolf went. Lakota got ready to send fire at Jordan. She stared at the other boy. We all immediately recognized him; it was Allen from our school he was always with Jordan. I should have guessed he was one of them but I wasn’t ever around him enough to sense it. I heard a rustle come from next to me, Lakota had shot the fire. It split in two and both Jordan and Allen got hit.

“Where did that come from?” Asked Jordan angrily.

“No idea, maybe we should retreat,” Said Allen still searching around frantically.

“I suppose, but we still need to get that Damned wolf. If those stupid guardians find him, we’re dead. Come on, let’s go we need to get back to Lady Luna,” Said Jordan with a groan. They both ran down the street, we watched until we couldn’t see them anymore.

“Good job Lakota!” exclaimed Madison with a grin.