1: MEETING THE DEMON

Intoxicating fear cut through me like blades. My heart hurt in my chest, pounded faster than it should. My legs trembled and cold consumed my body starting from my bare feet.

Deep breaths. Focus. Hold your ground. Head up and eyes straight. my wolf reminded me.

I waited for them to make their appearance. I was confident of the outcome, I only had to hear it and everything will be over. I will die.

Their presence got stronger with every second that passed. Men I knew well. The wrath of wolves, dominance, power, and most of all anger.

The sound of the door opening made me flinch.

Eyes straight.

I sat my hands behind my back and straightened my shoulders, standing like the warrior I was.

The four figures stormed inside; a loud crack echoed in the vast room when the door hit the wall.

"Vanitha Xavier Doom," My alpha spilled my name under clenched teeth. Furious than ever, mentally slammed my wolf to the wall. He forced me to lower my gaze for a second, but I fought it with all the strength I had left in me.

Eyes straight. This is not the time to be weak.

"Explain!" he ordered.

I flicked my gaze to the Beta, searching in his eyes for comfort but I found nothing but redness and disappointment, I too believed I deserved it for what I have done.

"Alpha Luke." I stopped when I realized how shaky my voice sounded, clearing my throat and taking a deep breath, I hoped I sounded steady this time. "It is true, I released the rogue prisoner."

"Explain." He ordered again.

I looked him straight in the eyes, knowing very well what I was going to say will put my loyalty, rank, and even life to an end.

"The rogue was going to be executed at down, I couldn't let that happen." I hesitated, " He is my mate."

His eyes widened, he looked back at his beta then slowly pulled his chair at the head of the table and sat.

"Vanitha," Beta Ash spoke in a low rumble "was that the right thing to do? To release the most dangerous rogue we ever captured because he smelled nice?"

He wouldn't know, he didn't meet his soulmate yet. He didn't know the feeling, the bond forced me to help him. Maybe the alpha will understand, he had his Luna and he always did everything to protect her. He will understand, he has to.

"No, it wasn't. I am sorry-"

His patience was over, he couldn't hold his calm anymore, exploded in my face with words sharper than silver blades. "WARRIORS DIED IN THAT MISSION! YOUR WARRIORS! WE ARE STILL COLLECTING THEIR BODY PARTS FROM THE FOREST AND YOU are sorry."

I fought the tears in my eyes, I wasn't trying to steady my voice anymore, "For that, I will never forgive myself, brother."

The silence took over, only my heartbeat and low sobs in the air. Waiting for what will come next, the alpha gestured his hand to Ash and the other two council members to sit. I stood facing them as they had a mind-link conversation, which I wasn't included in. While my mind had only two words squeezing it from the inside: treason, death.

The longer the time passed, the weaker my knees became and the closer I was to collapsing in shame and guilt.

Finally, they all turned to me. Their eyes held nothing but accusation and disgust. The decision was made.