8

Tomás' POV:

I turned away to the sound of my phone buzzing repeatedly.

It was Rebecca.

"Sorry I have to take this or she won't stop." I apologised, before standing up and stepping outside. This felt all too familiar.

"Where are you?" the female voice drilled into my ear.

"I'm getting tutored I told you this when I left already."

"It's been long enough, it's a Wednesday night, you have school tomorrow." she stated bluntly.

"I'm aware, however you were the one that told me that I should be studying, so that is exactly what I'm doing." I retorted in annoyance.

"I'm picking you up right now, send me the address whilst we're on this call or I will call the police and have you escorted out of where you are with a couple officers."

"I'd rather the officers than you..." I grumbled, texting her the address of a road away.

"What was that?" she asked.

"Nothing. I sent it."

"Good." she snapped, hanging up.
I held back an eye roll.

"I'm sorry Coleslaw I have to go, mother Muñoz awaits me." I turned to him with a shrug.

His eyes softened a little bit.

"It's okay, next time." he smiled, "I really enjoyed tutoring you."

"I really enjoyed being tutored by you." I winked.

My phone started ringing shortly after, I glanced at the screen, "Yup that's me, I'll see you tomorrow?" I asked him.

"See you!!" he waved as I left.

I walked down the street to find Rebecca's car parked with a pissed looking Rebecca inside of it.

"How comes you're not coming out of the house address you sent me hm?? You get lost in your way out hm??" she challenged.

"No, I thought you'd be further down, I forgot the number."

"How can you forget the number??"

"I have other things on my mind that aren't house numbers."

"As if! Like what?"

"Exams are coming up soon and I need to do well in them"

"Exams are coming up soon!! Blah blah shut the fuck up and respect me and yourself, if you think whining about them is going to get your grades up by triple then you are mistakened."

"I wasn't whining abou-"

"Shut up Tomás! Shut the hell up! You're giving me a headache!"

"Okay."

"I shouldn't have even picked you up the way you have my head boiling, if I die you'll just keep living your life, I'll never die for any child." she ranted.

Huffing, she continued, "Especially not for a child with no gratitude, I come out here to pick you up and I get no thankyou, and no apology for the stress you've caused me? That's pathetic- you know what? Get out of the car."

I looked at her momentarily.

"Get the hell out of my car!" she said, stopping the car at the red traffic light.

I undid my seatbelt and put a hand on the door handle but before I could even open it I felt a swift backhanded slap to my upper lip. I could instantly feel the pain course through my face.

"Where the fucking hell do you think you're going??" she spat with another swift knock to my face, "So you're silent this entire time but when I say to leave the car that's finally when you decide that you want to respond?? You're a fucking imbecile and I KNOW that this is not what I spent a 9 months pregnancy period for."

My lip was busted.

"Don't even look at me, face the other way! I don't want to see your face right now because you brandish the face of a rude disrespectful idiot!"

I sat silently in my seat facing the window, wishing we got into an accident and crashed.

As soon as we arrived home I took off my seatbelt and went straight for my room, locking my door straight away.

Looking in the mirror, I inspected my busted lip, flipping it to see the inside.

Only minimal internal bleeding.

Shocking, considering the force and speed she hit me with and the size of her ring.

Letting go of my lip I noticed the cut just above it, that had started bleeding too.

Sighing, I pulled out the small first aid kit I made a while back for situations like this. Cleaning and disinfecting wounds was almost second nature to me, and I was done within a heartbeat.

I put it away and sat on my bed, facing the wall. What happened in the car started to replay in my head. I rolled my eyes, stop thinking about it- I got off lightly with that one.

My stomach rumbled loudly, it felt like my insides were gnawing at themselves, despite not having eaten, I felt nauseous.

I glanced at the clock, waiting to hear the sounds of Rebecca retreating upstairs. I preferred being on opposite sides of the house to her as much as possible. Most of our interactions after her already being mad at me never ended well, so I tried to limit all our interactions as much as possible.

It was 11:50pm and she hadn't come upstairs.

I'll skip dinner today, it's too late to eat anyway.