Chapter Twenty-One - Butterflies

"When I said I'm sure you listen to good music," Billy huffed, "I didn't expect you to play Y.M.C.A, on loop, the whole time."

"Young man," I grinned, putting my hand on his shoulder. "Theres no need to feel down."

"I am no longer interested in you. I'm going to date you, just to break up with you." He teased.

"Hey, you didn't say anything while we drove, so I can't be entirely faulted for this!"

"Okay, fine, but no way are you doing music on the way home." He said, getting out of the car, and moving around to open the door for me.

"Thanks," I said, getting out of the car.

"If I hug you again, are you going to punch me again?" He asked, licking his lips.

"Only if you ask me to." I poked his chest.

He wrapped his arms around me, resting his hands in the crook of my back, and putting his chin on my head.

"We can go in, in a minute. I'd like to stay like this for a little bit first." He said, just loud enough that I could hear him. I wrapped my arms around his waist, and rested my head on his chest, listing to his heart slowly start to race. Feeling his heart beat so quickly, my own heart followed suit.

After what felt like forever, yet not long enough, he pulled away slowly, cold air filling in where his warm body had previously pressed against mine.

"You ready?"

"I guess so." I responded, walking beside him as he headed towards a building.

"I hope you're hungry, then." Billy said, his fingers intertwining with mine, not even glacing my way. A small smile found its way onto his lips, and I couldn't help but feel like I was watching a young boy experiencing his first crush.

I followed him as he entered, the smell of food filling my lungs. His hand remained in mine, even as we were directed to a table, where he sat next to me, instead of across from me.

We ate, Billy picking something for me, as I wasn't sure what to get. As he ate his food, his arm lazily hung over my shoulder, and his eyes kept flickering over to me, making sure I ate.

"You don't have to watch me, you know." I laughed. "This is really good, so I'm eating it."

"Whatever." He said, but his arm pulled me closer, so I was leaning into him as I ate, trying not to spill on him.

"How many other people have you dated?" I asked, suddenly curious, breaking the silence as we finished eating.

"None." He said, and looked down at me. "Ladies can't keep off me, and who am I to stop them until now?" He gave me a grin.

"So I'm your first then?" I asked, and then realized what I had said.

"You self declaring yourself as my girlfriend or somethin'?" He asked, looking at me closer.

"That's not what I meant-" I awkwardly hid my face in my hands.

"You wanna be my girlfriend?" He asked, his hands pulling mine away from my face.

"Wait - What?"

"I know I haven't been a very good friend recently..." He looked away to the table again. "But I don't really have as much experience with this sort of stuff, I guess." Billy told me. "When I realized I liked you... Like that, I think I also got scared."

"Scared..?"

"Scared that you would leave, take advantage of me, or just... Make fun of me, I guess?"

"Billy..." I looked at him, and he looked so vulnerable in this moment. "It's going to be hard, forgetting what you've done. Honestly. But, I think you're worth a chance. With enough effort, anyone can change. The only role model you've had to base your life off of recently has been your shitty father. I can't entirely blame you for your actions, although you could have handled some things a lot better."

"What are you saying?"

"Yes. I'm saying yes." I said, and pulled his face to mine, his bit of facial hair tickling my face as we kissed.