8

It was two days later when you'd sent Yeosang ahead to get you your favourite brownies from the cafe in front of your office (angels made surprisingly obedient servants, you were realizing) that you felt something was wrong. You only had to meet up with him at the cafe so you could find brownies ready because you had a bad, bad day at work and you simply did not have the patience to go and wait for the brownies to arrive, and you reckoned it was your bad mood that made Yeosang agree to go ahead in the first place, and now... you were regretting it.

As you stepped out the building, you took out your cane not because you needed it but for self defence if required. You spent a good few seconds scanning the perimeter but finding nothing. Taking a deep breath, you started to cross the footpath-

It happened way too quickly to process.

One second you were walking with the cafe in front of your eyes, Yeosang's back visible as he turned, and before he could make eye contact, before your lips had turned fully into a smile, you felt hands around your mouth, stifling your scream, your eyes widening and it only took a blink of your eyes as you found yourself on height-

Two stories up a building at the edge, and this time, you screamed despite the hand on your mouth, but you were frozen- if whoever this was let you go, you'd fall to your death.

"Let her go," Yeosang's voice was almost a growl.

"Not so easily, angel," you felt the warm breath on your face and a shiver ran down your spine because there was no way to describe his voice other than slimy. "And I don't think you're in a position to negotiate- not when I can drop your pretty little human to death."

He did turn then, to face Yeosang, and you saw his eyes glowing with fury, his hands fisted. "What do you want?"

"Well," the man- if you could call it that anymore, tightened his grip around your waist, letting go of your mouth to hold your shoulder, "I guess you've forgotten how we were in similar situations a century ago. Only, I was the one in your place."

Yeosang rolled his eyes, and you frowned- just what was going on? "Petty revenge? Is that what it is? You know perfectly well that it was my job from the higher-ups, don't you? Why don't you go fight with them?"

"You could have left her alone if you had a conscience," the man growled, "but oh no, you had to be the good angel and do your job. Tell me, angel, how do you feel now?"

You found Yeosang's eyes go to the cane in your hand and then he met your eyes as if trying to convey something, but it was quickly replaced with a steel gaze. "Go ahead, demon. You think she matters? She's just a mere human I'm spending time with as I delay going to the afterlife. You take her, I find someone else, or I move on. Do I look like I care about her?"

"If you didn't," the demon chuckled, "you wouldn't have followed me all the way here."

"You know me," Yeosang put his hands in his pockets, rather relaxed, and your grip around the cane tightened as you found the demon's arm relaxing a tad bit, "Good angel instincts take over before I can think. Come on, you could do better than that."

You'd had enough of the drama- you dig your nails harshly with your free hand and swirled the cane to hit the demon's head, running away from his grasp as you ran to Yeosang, "This guy clearly doesn't care about me," you motioned to Yeosang as the demon glared at you, lunging at you but you raised your cane, "You're one lousy demon."

The demon laughed out loud, "You both think you're good actors? Tell me, Yeosang, have you really forgotten who I am? What I am?"

"Slimy demon," you muttered as you wiped your arms, shivering as you took in his appearance- tall and dangerous and dark. You felt Yeosang near you, holding your arm protectively and you raised a brow as if to say 'now you care?'