Prologue

October 15

Andy

"Oh my god!" Anixa Dawn King, my best friend of about six and a half years, had come to a full stop in the middle of the devoid aisle with a shriek of excitement and giddiness. 

Her sudden cry had snagged the attention of nearby shoppers from all around us. As soon as I felt eyes on me, I had shrank inward on myself out of reflex. I wasn't usually publicly embarrassed, but that didn't mean I enjoyed people watching my every movement. At that particular moment, they were watching us very closely undoubtedly to try and figure out what the hell these teen girls were doing. 

I could see wandering eyes flit away from us while others had started to linger a bit too much. My own gaze fell on that of a small group of boys that were around our age, but I couldn't recognize them. They were giggling and ogling at Anixa. I didn't blame them though, but it still revolted me. 

Anixa was the 'Queen-Bee' of our friend group, and she ensured she always looked the part. She didn't have very many curves, but she always dressed to enhance what curves she did have. The clothing she wore was always fashionable and meticulously planned for the day and week. Her makeup always matched her outfit and was done to accentuate her soft facial features and bring out the pale sea-like green of her eyes. 

Today, she was wearing a tea green summer dress with white flats that had little white lace and diamond adorned anklets connected by a small zipper on the back. She had chosen to bring along her 'lucky' mint pocketbook to compliment her green theme of the day and hopefully bring her a score on our little outing, which it had. She never had to straighten her hair since it was always already pretty straight, but today she did to get rid of the little frizz she swore she had. Her hair was long and strawberry blond, so if she did have any frizz it was hard to tell since it was so light. She also took good care of her hair, which made me skeptical about the frizz claims. 

Her light rose-beige skin was covered in a gold glitter spray that made her glow like a fairy. Her face was always lit up no matter what emotion she displayed, but today her highlighter made her glow even more. She was beautiful and she didn't need to wear makeup half the time. The only thing she ever really did to her face was throw on her traditional pink lipgloss, some mascara, and shape her perfect brows with brow gel. 

God, I was jealous of how she never needed to try. I was always very aware that I looked beautiful, but I also felt at home with myself when I looked scary, and that took a lot of effort. I had once tried to fit in with Anixa's crowd, but they all made my skin crawl. 

"You're causing a scene." Emery Everette flinched from by her side. 

Emery fit into a group like a kindergartner fit in at a bar. She was paired up with us for a class project back when we were freshman and she had just moved to our town, and then she never left our sides after that point. We loved her company and how innocent she was compared to the rest of us. Her vibes were refreshing and sweet, so we had to keep her around. 

She was the nerdy type of girl, very book smart, and she had a fierce intelligence about her that took all of us off guard. She would constantly correct our grammar, vocabulary, or tutor us on whatever we sucked at. It contrasted to her very timid attitude since she was only ever confident with her brains. 

Her hair was a dark chestnut that was always cared for by Anixa or her cutthroat asian mother, who was a badass and amazing cook, but it was perfect either way. Today she had allowed her mom to pin it back and stick a lotus clip in her hair for purity. 

She had central heterochromia, so her dark brown eyes had a golden ring inside of them. That was very rare for asians, and her eyes caused a lot of talk around school. I constantly saw her beautiful eyes darting around, waiting for an attack, and full of worry.