Prologue

"Faster!" A man with tanned skin in a dark officer's uniform shouted to the bridge crew of the vessel he commanded, his careful eyes darting to the display screens of the bridge. Displays showing the massive galactic grimstorm of unknown origin that took out the rest of the fleet, that now threatened to destroy his ship as well. He hoped to outrun the storm and get a report back to Earth, his eyes widened in horror as he saw an energy discharge from the storm heading straight for the ship. He opened his mouth to order for evasive action yet the order never came as the ship was hit and exploded in a cloud of vapor in seconds.

Back on Earth there were hundreds of people fleeing cities as they screamed, the ground violently shaking all over as the continental plates shifted and moved. Seeking to occupy positions they hadn't been in for many billions of years, the worst of the damage being on coastal cities and island nations. With many gallons of sea water rushing in before evacuations could be ordered, yet inland on mainland continents didn't fair much better. Mountains and gullies ripped cities and towns asunder, in one city a single ship was locked down in its ground based hangar spaceport by its builders just moments before they fled for their lives. The massive towers of the city toppled as they watched from a distant stable hill as a new mountain rose to engulf the city that was once there, each held no real hope that the ship survived in all of that.

Thus was the fall of the Human Galactic Republic, their great fleet reduced to one ship lacking any data resources. Their mighty civilization driven to primitive technology levels, old diseases that were once kept at bay by medical technology now took revenge without mercy. By the time the dust settled and everyone began to rebuild all chances of returning to the stars and reclaiming their territory became little more than far flung dreams.

However, dreams sometimes have a way of coming true...