Untitled Part Seven - Anita

The days pass slowly and painfully. Mason and I seem close and become chatty when we have to be around my family. The second we're alone neither of us says a word to each other. By the end of the week we've fallen into a simple routine: wake-up, Mason agrees to whatever everyone else wants to do, I try to advocate on her behalf, she pretends everything is fine, I go along with it, we laugh alongside my family, we get back to camp and Mason locks herself in the bathroom and climbs out the window, I give her time alone, I inevitably end up following her to the lake (where neither of us speak a word to each other), go to sleep, and repeat.

Today though, is the day I try to change that. Routines are for the weak. I fly by the seat of my pants and hope it turns out in the end. Nothing can go wrong if the plan is unplanned.

Think smarter, not harder.

I tie my bandana, securing it to my head, and then confidently burst through the door and into the blinding morning sun.

"Annie what the hell?" Jack says through a mouthful of toast, staring blankly as the door swings back towards me and I have to jump out of its path. The occupants of the picnic table share my brother's unhelpful look, many of them paused mid-chew with my dramatic entrance.

Doubt whispers in my ear but I've already committed myself and it would be embarrassing to turn back, no amount of doubt can stop me now.

Passionately I inhale the smell of the dew on the early morning grass and gaze longingly at the lake, "lovely day for a paddle on the water, isn't it?"

Jannett raises an eyebrow at me, "sure?"
"Let's all go!" I encourage my family, playing ignorance.

"There's only one canoe, love."

Exaggerating disappointment, I slap the air, "ah. What. A. Shame!" I say, walking quickly to Mason and holding my arm out for her, "guess it'll just have to be the two of us. Shall we?" Hesitantly, even for our little game, Mason pops her toast in her mouth and takes my arm so I can lead her down to the boat, leaving my family confused and unable to question our sudden absence.

A flawless exit if I do say so myself.

"What are you doing?" Maisy's voice buzzes.

"Um I'm taking you canoeing, obviously." Sarcastically I roll my eyes at her. A muscle in Mason's face ticks and I'm not sure if it's from excitement or annoyance. "Here," I shove a lifejacket and paddle into her hand, then drag the boat into the water, the tide wades at the bottom of my knees. The rocks beneath the lake are cool on my feet.

I extend my hand to the open air, for Mason to take.

She looks both ways over her shoulder and once satisfied, shoves past me and climbs into the boat herself, nearly tipping it over before taking a seat in the bow of the boat.

Stunned, I drop my hand into the water and make a small wave, then climb into the canoe in the spot behind Mason. We paddle out of the shallows and away from the people, in deafening silence.

I spy a small island out of the corner of my eye, and redirect the boat's path. If Mason notices, she doesn't say anything. I observe the way her muscles flex as she paddles, pushing against her workout shirt that she insists on wearing regularly.

"You've improved." I say suddenly, catching even myself off guard.

"What?"

"I mean since last time we went canoeing, remember that?"

Mason chuckles darkly at the memory, one I think neither of us consider pleasant. "Strange that I've gotten better. I haven't done anything to do so."

"Must be all that dancing." I mean working out more specifically- something I'm jealous she can do so well while I've never had the discipline or consistency to .