1

Asahi still remembers the first time he heard that voice he loves so much. He was a first year in practice when he heard a soft humming in his head. He had stopped what he was doing, and just listened. It was heavenly! The most pure sound he had heard, and he was already in love. "Asahi!" Suga had called to him. "You alright?"

"O... Oh yeah! I um, I think I just heard my soulmate is all." He admitted. Everyone had soulmates, it was nothing too special to hear them. But Sugas face still lit up. 

"That's so cool! It's about time! Wasn't your birthday like, two weeks ago?"

"Yeah, I guess they didn't feel like it yet."

"Maybe you should hum something back? Usually soulmates do that and they end up humming the same thing." 

"Maybe after practice." Their captain said, chuckling at the interaction. He knew that the first time was exciting, but the first years really needed to focus.

"Hai!" 

After practice, as the first years walked home, asahi hummed a little song his mom used to sing to him, and waited for a response.  "Well? Anything?"

"No.. I don't think they like the sound of me singing." Asahi sighed, feeling dejected. 

"Or they could be younger?" Daichi suggested. "Your soulmate could still be fifteen, so they can't hear you yet."

"Oh yeah! Didn't they say that soul bonds can be one sided for a while until both parties are old enough?"

"Yeah! Sensei did mention that once, so it's no biggie. Just give it some time, check in every now and then, and hope for the best." Daichi reassured. He wasn't the best at it, but it did help him feel better. 

"Thanks daichi." He gave a half smile, before going down the part to his house. 

It was a year later in October when they were able to sing together, and he found a sense of joy in singing with him. Yes, him. His soulmate was definitely a boy from what he could tell. that and he doubted the universe would pair him with a girl when he was gay. So his soulmate was a boy who was a year younger than him. And whenever he was too nervous, he tended to hum a song to himself, so his soulmate would hum along, and he felt a sense of comfort having someone who would be with him forever. And hearing that voice? It was soothing like no other thing in the world. 

He would listen in awe as they strummed a guitar and came up with lyrics, stopping every now and then, presumably to write them down, or just enjoying their strange taste in music while they had earbuds and all that in. He found it incredibly funny when a lo fi song would come on right after heavy metal. It always made him chuckle when music on a completely different vibe came on like that. And it happened more often than naught. 

He smiled as his friends slowly found out they were actually soulmates, but felt a pang of jealousy, wishing it was him and his soulmate, but he kept it to himself. It wasn't a big deal, since he knew they'd meet eventually, and they'd one day be together. 

He just wished it would come sooner.