19 - Him

CW: Contains underage drinking and shows abuse

-Alula-

The whole house seemed to have shifted. All Mother wanted to do was help Bella plan for the baby. Bella said she should have it in May and was convinced it was a boy. Since Christmas, Uncle Thule was out almost all day, every day, visiting his old friends, so we barely saw him anymore. Aunt Miranda had heard from her boss yesterday that she was needed at the Ministry and left almost immediately. Bri seemed quieter since the announcement of the baby but I was so stressed about not having heard back from Lily that I wasn't all that concerned.

It was only when I saw Lily's owl approaching the house three days after Christmas that I could relax. I raced outside on the terrace not caring about the cold. I grabbed the letter from his leg and told him he could stay for a little while if he needed to before journeying back north.

Alula,
Be careful, I couldn't use the code. We're in the car traveling. We're all safe but Christmas has been a shitshow. Petunia hated her present and threw a fit, my father's job cut his hours back and my grandmother is very ill and they don't think she'll make it into the new year. We're on our way to visit her before anything happens. Sorry to hear about your Mother, we'll talk more at school. Stay safe.

Love,
Red

I took a breath and tucked the letter into my robe. I mentally thanked Merlin that she was alright. I watched Lily's owl fly away after I thanked him. I was glad he didn't linger. I didn't want anyone getting suspicious.

"...exactly what happened to me. Don't worry about that. It'll be over before spring hits," I could hear Mother rambling as she entered the dining room. "Oh! Hello dear," she greeted me. "What are you still doing up?"

"I was going to send a letter to Thorfinn," I lied quickly, "but I realized I'll be seeing him tomorrow at the Black's house. Now, I'm just getting tea before bed."

Bella sat down at the dining room table and eyed me. I turned to the cabinet but Mother stopped me. "Don't worry about that," she waved her wand and a mug flew out of the cupboard, filled with tea from the kettle and boiled before settling down on the counter in front of me. "Alright, my sweet." She kissed my forehead and smiled before guiding me out of the kitchen and watching as I went up to bed.

"Goodnight," I smiled at her and then at Bellatrix. "Goodnight, Bella."

"Yes, goodnight," She said curtly.

The following day blurred by and when evening came Mother was practically dressing the whole family as if it was Rodolphus' wedding day all over again. Gemini and I were standing in the hallway on our floor facing our parents when Mother started to readjust my hair. "We won't be late, Phelia, relax yourself. Everything will be fine," Father reminded her and took her bony hand away from my head. I smiled at him.

"I want everything in order."

"The girls know their place; they're underage. They're to wait for instruction if it comes and we all know it won't Mother, take a step back and you can–"

"If you say 'relax' one more time I'll replace your mouth with a zipper."

"And how would I ask for approval of my engagement with a zipper for a mouth?" Bastan joked and I held in a chuckle.

Mother flipped her head around and faced the stairs where he sat. She walked toward him and squinted her eyes. "Don't start with me, you sass-mouth malmsey nose," She snapped.

Bastan lowered his head and nodded obediently. "I'm sorry, Mother."

"Now, Rodolphus–" He stood up straighter, and his eyes widened attentively. "When he addresses you and Bellatrix, then, only then do you announce that she is with child." He nodded. "After that, we'll bring up the engagement and regardless of the outcome, we'll then–" She turned to Gemini and me and went to open her mouth before closing it again. When she spoke next, it was more calculated than before. "You two, downstairs to the sitting room to get your cloaks, now!"