Chapter 3

Secora got a sick feeling in her stomach. Was it cannibalism? Was there more than one murderer? Did her father survive and forget about her due to the traumatic experience? There was one more possibility, but it was too unbearable to think about. It couldn't be true anyway.

On their way home (again) the Dominion adults said they were sorry about how this came out and thought it was for the best. "I don't think a 15 year old should have to see her dead mothers body anyway." said Mrs. Dominion. "And I agree, '' stated Mr. Dominion. Secora had been living with this foster family for about 7 years now, and had started calling them mom and dad. "But what if I want to see my parents, just one more time?" Secora countered. "Well, then that would be the only exception." Mr. Dominion said, looking rather uncomfortable at the moment. "But, you should know that they were very gruesomely murdered, and you might not even be able to recognise them as your parents. After all, by now they would just be a pile of bones." Mrs. Dominion said rather savagely. "I don't care!!!!" Secora was getting really mad, and her foster parents weren't making any attempt at calming her down. "I guess they're used to all my mood's, great." Secora thought grimly. She was sick of them acting like her birth parents. She got where they were coming from, but the attempt to make her feel like she had a family was hollow. Almost nonexistent. They were just fosters, not real. No one could ever love her like her real parents did. She could never love anyone in return. She was destined to be without a family, and she was alright with that. She missed her real parents, and always would, but they were gone now. She had to take care of herself. She couldn't afford to hurt like that ever again.When they got home, she took Cheeko into her room and stayed there till morning.

Secora was still mad at her "parents", so instead of eating the pancakes they made, she grabbed some cereal and ate in her room. It was a Monday morning, so she didn't have a lot of time though. She got dressed and then left for the short walk to school. When she got to school, everyone was looking at her. It was no mystery though, today was the anniversary of her parents murder. She hated the attention. Every year for the past 9 years she had gotten these exact stares. It was a mixture of sympathy, and disgust. She was the only person at her school who saw her parents' blood the way she did. Secora would always only be known as "the girl who watched her parents die". What the rest of the school didn't know was she felt responsible for their death. She would always blame herself. She would always be alone. No one could understand her. Only her parents could have ever understood her, but they were gone. No matter what, she was the only one she could trust. She would never "fall in love", never have a friend, and worst of all, never have a family that loved her, truly loved her.