four

Andrique

Stars were always in the sky, at any point they were twinkling up above just millions of miles away. Andrique grew up in a crowded city were the smog got so thick you could hardly see the sky at all- so laying on soft grass and gazing up at the night sky took her breath away. That morning, on a particularly warm Saturday, Ja'Maia had called and asked if she wanted to go hiking with her. Hiking was another foreign thing you didn't really experience in the city- at least not the way you would in the south. So, Andrique agreed and that led her to the pure awe she felt gaping at the twinkling stars above her.

Their hike wasn't long, they waited until Andrique's shift ended at six and packed a few things to get them through the trip. The sun was just setting when they started loading up the car and Andrique begin to feel weary of walking through a wooded area in the dead of night. She was a horror media fanatic- which came with the downside of being extremely paranoid in horror-esque situations. Regardless, she wanted to spend time with Ja'Maia- even if it meant going face to face with the source of her internal fears.

Ja'Maia closed the trunk with a click before turning to face Andrique. She was dressed simply in a pair of black shorts, a band tee, and a black jacket. Her locs were pulled back into a ponytail, two long strands dangling past her eyes. Andrique had tried to dress as appropriately as possible but because she had never been hiking before, and because she suddenly couldn't bring herself to look less than perfect around her best friend, her outfit was slightly dressy for a hiking trip.

Instead of something that you'd typically wear on an outdoor adventure, she had slipped into her black Halara crossover tennis skirt, a black long sleeve v-neck, and a grey plaid jacket. On her feet were a pair of converse, these weren't a fashion choice however. Ja'Maia had urged her to wear a pair of tennis or otherwise sturdy shoes- but the converse were the only pair she had that would be suited to such a description. Her collection of leather boots, heels, and other alternative shoes she had would not.

Her curls were in her usual two ponytails and light makeup hid the sudden imperfections she never noticed before. Makeup on a hiking trip seemed ridiculous so she settled for mascara and gloss- even though she wanted to cover her "eye bags" with concealer and contour her soft jawline to make her features appear sharper.

"Are you ready?" Ja'Maia asked, a smile on her face.

"Yes, I was born ready." Andrique answered, a grin of her own forming at the sight of her friend's.

"I'm sure you were." Ja'Maia laughed.

She walked over to the passenger side and opened the door, motioning for Andrique to get in with a tilt of her head. The grin on her face falling with bashfulness, Andrique hopped in and buckled up her seatbelt as Ja'Maia closed the door. Ja'Maia followed suit, and pulled off as soon as they were both secured in the car. The radio played quieter than usual but Andrique paid it no mind, her conscious was more focused on the way Ja'Maia's hands gripped the steering wheel- or how her thighs squeezed against the restraints of her cargo shorts when she sat down.

They rode in silence, and Andrique fought with herself to keep her mind from feeding into the wants of her groin. Even then, she wasn't aroused by Ja'Maia's effortless attraction- but rather comforted by the pleasantries of her presence. She knew she liked being around her, that was obviously a given- but there was something different about the way it felt. It was fueled by an entirely different set of emotions that made her heart feel like a pile of mush and goo in her chest. Whenever she looked over into Ja'Maia's chestnut eyes, she could feel that gooey sensation spreading from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. She found herself wanting more of that feeling, wanting more of her best friend. Holding her hand, hugging her, talking over the phone- it all felt different in a way she wasn't sure she could describe. All she knew was that she craved it, she craved her touch, time, and attention. She wanted it all to herself.