six

Ja'Maia
A few days later...

Ja'Maia took a sip from her third drink of the night, the sour taste twisting her face slightly. She didn't like for her drinks to taste good- she felt like it encouraged her to drink more and that wasn't her goal. All she wanted was to be drunk enough to feel a slight buzz, being blackout or sloppy drunk wasn't her style. It actually scared her if she was being honest.

She was out with her friends, a group of people she'd hung out with since highschool but recently hadn't had time for. One of her friends, Destiny sat beside her- reapplying her black lipstick in a compact mirror from her bag. Destiny was Nepalese with long think hair and lashes that curled up to the her eyebrows. She was pretty and sweet, one of the nicest friends she had truthfully. Her style was similar to Ja'Maia's but the opposite more feminine side. They also shared the same music taste, which was what they bonded over initially.

"That's your third drink girlie, you doing alright tonight?" She asked, her eyes locked on the mirror.

Ja'Maia looked at her, a laugh leaving her lips. "I'm alright, it's just dealing with our idiot friends I need an extra drink."

That caught the woman's attention, her eyes darting around to locate each of their friends. They were on babysitting duty that night, Destiny being the designated driver and her being the Braun who would carry any unable parties.

Their three other friends, were all at the bar- still ordering drinks to bring back to the table. It was pretty early so they were all faring well. Ja'Maia knew that wouldn't last long though. Of the three were Xochitl, Naomi, and Drew.

Xochitl was a Guatamalan woman who wore more floral print than she did clothes. She was quiet and reserved by herself,the type to be reading at a party or standing against the wall. But Drew had a hidden knack for riling her up and bringing out her more extroverted nature. When the two of them were together, she was the life of any event- her disdain for public gatherings long forgotten. She had olive skin and big brown eyes. Her hair was cropped close to her ears in a slightly curled pixie cut. She wasn't a heavy drinker but she was definitely a lightweight so any drink could get her red in the face.

Naomi was from Trinidad, something she was very proud about. She was dark skin with long coily hair that reached her mid back. She wore glasses and had several different pairs with various colors, designs, and shapes. That night she wore a dark red, square shaped pair that matched with her red dress and red bottom shoes. She was a joy to be around, always laughing and always trying to make everyone feel included. But she was very blunt at times, even moreso when drunk. She was also a lightweight and well aware of it, which made her the easier drunk friend to deal with. So, Ja'Maia could be thankful for that.

Then there was Drew, an absolute American idiot. Drew had a dyed fade, blonde with pink and teal swirls, and many piercings that Ja'Maia never bothered counting. She was brownskin with full lips and a chiseled face. Her style was haphazard and grunge in a way that made her a natural magnet to crazy alternative women and men who wanted to be the next big fashion influencer. She didn't take anything seriously though, maybe her job but even that was iffy. Regardless, she made a good friend who was always willing to listen and help to the best of her abilities.She wasn't a lightweight but somehow always ended up the drunkest. Ja'Maia hated drinking with her.

"Why do we always agree to do this?" Destiny sighed.

"Well, you don't drink," Ja'Maia answered,"And I'm the only one who can carry Drew."

"Maybe I'll start drinking, just so I don't have to worry about them throwing up in my car." Destiny laughed.

"Car? You mean your mini van?" Ja'Maia snickered, dodging the flick Destiny tried to land on her forehead.