one

Ja'Maia

The early morning vacancy kept the library slow running and utterly comforting. Ja'Maia preferred it that way. Of course libraries were always quiet, but with presence of other people it was hard for her to truly immerse herself in it's silent comfort. As she walked inside a quiet ding announced her presence, she lived in a small town so most establishments sported some kind of overhead bell, and a somber librarian looked over her and the three bags of books she carried with a sigh.

Mrs. Layton, the librarian, was very familiar with Ja'Maia. For the 16 years she's worked at the library, Ja'Maia had been a regular visitor who's love for books gave her hope for the future. Still, she couldn't help but be a little annoyed when the girl brought bags of books to the counter to check out and turn in every two-three weeks. She'd been doing it since she could carry them on her own, and despite the annoyance Mrs. Layton felt warm knowing she'd watched the girl grow up. Most kids stopped visiting the library when they learned how to work their smartphones.  Ja'Maia still came though, and she still read like she had absolutely nothing better to do.

"One of these days I'm going to have a heart attack ringing up these books." She sighed again as Ja'Maia begin setting her bags on the counter.

Ja'Maia's pierced eyebrow shot up and her eyes darted to the grey haired woman. "Why would you even say something like that?"

Mrs. Layton chuckled,"I think it's funny that's why. I probably have arthritis now from when I rung up your books in my younger days." 

Ja'Maia rolled her eyes and her lips lifted up into a smile. "Don't blame that on me."

"Who else can I blame it on? You're the only fanatic I know that checks out about twenty books every two weeks. You're the bulk of my cause."

"Oh please, you know seeing me is the brightens your day." Ja'Maia joked.

Mrs. Layton gave her a knowing gaze,"There's nothing bright about you at all besides that mind of yours dear."

She was referring to the dark clothes, tatted body, face full of piercings, and black eyeliner that Ja'Maia sported on the daily. That day she was wearing black jeans, a black Victim of Deception shirt, a black corduroy jacket, and black combat boots. Her outfits were always the opposite of bright but her personality, when she trusted the people she was around, was the epitome of it.

"Is that really how you see me Mrs. Layton?" Ja'Maia feigned sadness.

"If it was trust me I wouldn't be talking to you right now." The woman laughed.

The duo finished talking as the books were all rung up and Ja'Maia begin her journey across the building to replenish them. She scanned the books, letting her fingers graze their spines, as her eyes glazed over the titles carefully. She'd read a good portion of the books there, but the library was well funded so new books came every week. She made her way to the horror section, and for the first time her foolproof plan of arriving early in the morning so no one else was there- had made her out to be a fool. Standing in the aisle was a woman, who was oddly intriguing to Ja'Maia.

Despite being in the gloomy horror section, that was decorated with black and dark reds and old Halloween decorations- she was dressed in shades of white, pink, and red. Her dress was one of those fancy ones that came in two pieces- a white under dress that exposed her shoulders, and a floral corset that went on top and cinched her waist to make it look like she was wearing a layered shirt. A pair of platform ballerina-esque shoes were on her feet. Her hair was coily and styled in two puffs- a few strands dangling down and framing her face. Her makeup was soft- slim eyeliner, glitter eyeshadow, and a lip tint. Her features were just a gentle, but equally alluring with full lips, downturned eyes, and a beautifully hooked nose.