comfort.

pairing: ted & shae / reader
genre: platonic fluff, minor angst
warning(s): mentions of a panic/
anxiety attack, minor cursing, y/n
calls themselves a freak.
song(s) to listen to: little talks
by of monsters and men.
reader info: use of they/them
pronouns.

the darkness of the room, paired with the subtle light flowing into the room from the street lamps outside made [y/n] groan with frustration. their [e/c] hues glance to the clock on their bedside table.

12:37 am.

they swore that clock was taunting them, the blaringly bright red digital numbers serving as a distraction from their main goal: sleep. they had gotten comfortable in bed, wrapped themselves up and all the jazz. but as soon as their head hit the pillow, the exhaustion went away. they swore their body actually hated them some days...

although it was either this or fall asleep and possibly have a nightmare like the night before...

[y/n] shivered at the thought, remembering the vivid images of being alone, abandoned by people they thought loved them and cared for them. the reimaging only brought its best friend anxiety attack with it, and [y/n] hated it. first was the shortness of breath, and each inhale felt like gripping at the edge of being able to breath, only to nearly fall off after their hands being stepped on by anxiety. trembling hands lifted into [y/n]'s view, simply watching with a blank stare as their hands shook like no one's business. the symptoms would only get worse. [y/n] had to do something, and fast. they hurriedly pick their phone up from the bedside table, delicately taking the charger cord out from it's home at the bottom of the electronic device. they scroll through contacts, discord messages, twitter dms... until it hit them.

without thinking, [y/n] opened discord back up and clicked on a dm, thumb hovering over the call button.

he won't mind... right? him and shae are probably up...

[y/n] didn't really think twice before hitting the phone icon, and the discord ringing wasloud. they thought of it as a taunt.

oh, calling someone so late? when you know you should be asleep? are you that weak-

"hello?"

the voice of ted was enough to bring [y/n] from their thoughts, swallowing nervously before clearing their throat. "hey ted... did i wake you?" they ask softly, not that they were disturbing anyone, they lived alone.

"nah man, shae and i were playing mario kart! isn't it late for you?" man, they wish he hadn't brought that up...

"yeah, hah... uhm, about that-" [y/n] pauses to hear two people shuffling around, and they guess the switch game they were playing was long abandoned, both ted and shae a lot more interested in their friend's words. "i, uh... couldn't sleep- yeah, that's it. can't sleep!" [y/n] you sound ridiculous, they won't buy it-

"come on, [y/n], we know you better than that. what's up?" they hear shae chime in, instantly finding comfort knowing the two wouldn't judge.

it took some time, but they finally spilled the beans. they told ted and shae about the nightmare, the start of an anxiety attack, and how it led them to call ted, hoping the two were awake. the others on the other line were quiet, listening with soft hums, showing theyw ere still there, still listening. "so... yeah. i sound like a fucking freak, i know-"

"nono, [y/n], you aren't a freak! anxiety attacks are common, and it's okay to have them. i'm flattered you thought of us as the first people to go to." shae replies, and they can hear the soft smile in her voice. ted chimes in with a "exactly!" although it's kind of in the distance. "listen. we can stay on call for as long as you need. just talk to us! ted and i really have nothing to do tonight, so we kind of should thank you for calling. we miss you!" that brought comfort, a lot of comfort. it didn't even compute in [y/n]'s brain, but the fat tear drops rolling down their cheeks was enough to make them realize. [y/n] simply let shae ramble on about planning a trip for them to come visit sometime soon, all the places she wanted to take them, how ted would love to see them as well... the thought of even recording a chuckle sandwich podcast episode with him and schlatt was tossed into the conversation, which led to the three of them laughing about past episodes.

these two were comfort for [y/n]. they knew if they needed anything, ted and shae would come running in a heartbeat. it's just who they are. the type of people they are. and [y/n] was super fucking grateful for them.