Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Maddox sighed as he finished signing another administrative document and set it off to the side, joining a pile of others he had already dealt with over the past hour. As the new theatre commander for the South Eastern front and liaison to the Khuzait Empire, Maddox had his work cut out for him.

He glanced at Sooyoung, who sat in on a chair reading another treatise manual on rapier duelling and smiled at her determined expression. Clearly she was out to fulfil her promise to beat him at his own game.

Well, at least married life wouldn’t be boring with her.

He welcomed the challenge, giving him a much needed distraction from his work. But more so, he liked the warrior spirit that she had, which made her that much more alluring than any other woman he had ever known.

Their shared warrior background created mutual understanding and some form of respect between them, which so far had smoothed the process of getting used to each other. Besides, she had a body to die for.

Her lithe figure was a serious competition for even ladies in the Nilfgaardian royal court by itself, but combined with the slight muscles built up over the course of her rough life on the steppes, made his mind run wild with imaginations, both romantic and admittedly lustful.
Maddox was partially relieved to be married to her, as she was someone that could understand his life, unlike many of the obnoxious ladies in the royal court who vied for his attention to fulfil either their own political gain, or as a childish romantic pursuit.

Before his ruminations for his wife could go further, a loud shouting could be heard coming from outside, forcing him and Sooyoung to snap their attention to the door. Se Jun burst through the door at a full sprint, alarm written all over his features.

“We’re under attack! It’s the cultists!”, yelled Se Jun.

Maddox cursed at the news that it was the anarchic elements of the city. As if the assassination attempts by the Tamarelians wasn’t enough of a headache.

“What’s the situation?”, asked Maddox as he raced to his armour to the right of the room.

“The guards on duty are holding them back about a kilometre away but they’re too many, its only a matter of time before they break through. Another group is blocking reinforcements from the barracks from reaching us here at the mansion,” said Se Jun.

“Get back down and tell the guards to fall back to the mansion area and have someone alert my bodyguards,” replied Maddox.

Se Jun nodded and ran off to fulfil his instructions.

Sooyoung started running to the door too, clearly intent on joining the fight.

“No Sooyoung. Stay up here. I need you to be safe,” said Maddox.

“I can take care of myself,” said Sooyoung with a glare.

“I know that. But please, just to give me a piece of mind. Stay up here with some of the guards,” said Maddox, pleading with both his voice and eyes.

Sooyoung stared at him, hesitating on whether she should ignore him or accede to his request. She looked out towards their bedroom where one of her own armour sets was kept for emergencies and then back at him.

“I’ll get prepared just in case,” said Sooyoung with finality before dashing off towards the room.

Maddox let out a sigh of relief as he drew his sword and went down the stairs to rally the guards at the mansion for a stand. There was no chance of escape and so they’d have to make their stand here or die. He planned to set up a defence line at the mansion and hopefully keep that at the steps leading to the mansion. If not they’d have to fight through the corridors of the mansion, which he hoped to avoid.