Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Caledonia,  1 Week Later

Maddox rode through the streets on his horse as cheerful crowds gathered to welcome him home after his victory in the field.

Flower petals flew from windows and well-wishers on the ground, transforming the streets into a carnival of colours.

He was happy to be back in Caledonia but more so, he was right where he belonged, by Sooyoung's side.

He could not wait to see his wife and her round stomach, the image having appeared in his dreams across so many nights away from her.

Maddox could now focus on the one task most important to him, starting a family with Sooyoung. Because he most certainly wanted to have more than one child.

The fact that he had little sleep on the journey back could not contain his excitement, and he grinned as he and his entourage made their way towards the mansion.

Soon, they were out and on the path towards his home and Maddox practically galloped at speed, forcing his entourage to chase after him.

At the sight of the prodigal Prince returning home, the guards opened the gates and let him in.

Maddox rode all the way to the mansion porch, where Sooyoung and her guards awaited him.

Immediately jumping off his horse the very second he came to a stop, Maddox literally ran in his full armour, casting aside his helmet in his haste to envelop his wife in a hug.

Husband and wife were finally reunited and no one dared to interrupt them as they embraced one another with tears in their eyes.

"I missed you so much," said Sooyoung softly as she cried against his shoulder.

"I missed you even more," replied Maddox as he caressed the crown of her head.

Moving his hand down, Maddox started rubbing her belly as he stared down at it.

"And how is our child coming along?" asked Maddox.

"She kicks a lot," said Sooyoung. "I hope that means I have a warrior princess on the way"

"I hope so too," said Maddox as he planted a kiss on her forehead.

After pulling back slightly, Maddox leaned down to give Sooyoung his fiercest kiss yet to which she responded in kind.

After pulling away, Maddox turned and beckoned Eunkwang closer and the latter approached, unfurling a long banner before them.

"I promised you the enemy's command banner," said Maddox with a grin.

Sooyoung smiled as she ran a hand over the banner.

Before she could speak, Peniel approached an offered her a sheathed sword. Clearly an officer's sword, Sooyoung took it and unsheathed it, taking a long look over the blade.

"I'm sorry but I couldn't keep my promise on the enemy commander's blade though. He got away. I got this from a cavalry officer who nearly killed me" said Maddox.

"It will suffice," said Sooyoung with a smile before turning to face him once more. "I have a gift for you too."

Leading him inside, they entered a room where a map lay on the table.

"I had a map of the city commissioned for you," said Sooyoung.

Maddox held the map in his hands and smiled.

"Its very well-done. Thank you Sooyoung," said Maddox as he ran his hand over it.

Something about the material intrigued him.