Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Kang Seung Sik was the first to spot the two figures walking towards the estate gates, eyeing them suspiciously as he kept a hand on the pommel of his sword.

“Halt! Who goes there?”, challenged Seung Sik and alerting the other guards.

The two figures reached the gates with a cart and presented their palms, trying to signal that they came in peace.
Seung Sik approached the gate cautiously with two other men as they went to identify the individuals.

The shorter one was clearly a woman.

“You will inform Lord Maddox of our arrival and let us through immediately,” said the man.

“And why should I do that?”, retorted Seung Sik.

The man reached into his pocket and immediately, all the guards including Seung Sik tensed, raised their shields and drew their swords.

The man casually drew out a ornament attached to a chain and approached the gate, stretching forth his hand to pass the ornament to Seung Sik.

He took it and stepped back before taking a look at the ornament.

In the next instant, Seung Sik’s eyes widened as he recognized the item in his hand.
30 Minutes Later
Maddox hurried down the stairs with Sooyoung right behind him to entrance hall.
He had been rudely awoken by a stammering Se Jun, who explained that important visitors had arrived and that he and Sooyoung had to meet them. Standing before the two hooded figures, Maddox took a quick glance at Sooyoung, who returned his puzzled look.

“Who are you?” said Maddox as he stood in front of the strangers.

He’d been told, but he needed to hear and see it for himself.

The man amongst the pair passed a chained ornament to a guard, who promptly presented it to Maddox. He took it and examined it, running his fingers along the edges of the Nilfgaardian sun symbol. Seals like this were official tokens of authority and he scanned his eyes over the middle where he found what he was looking for.

The eye in the middle of the sun.

This was the seal of the Internal Security Branch of Nilfgaardian military intelligence.

“I take it my message was received?” asked Maddox.

“Indeed. Lord Maddox. The Head and her Majesty have ordered me to assist you in ridding Caledonia of these cultists,” said the woman.

Maddox faced the woman, not having anticipated her to been the higher ranking of the two.

“Wait. The Empress? Does the Emperor not know I sent the letter? Surely the Head of Internal Security would have told him,” asked Maddox.

“Her Majesty decided that this was a matter that the Emperor need not concern himself with for now, if at all. He has enough on his plate, and she wishes to avoid further humiliation of the Royal Family in the Imperial Court if others were to know. She wishes for you to focus on your marriage and grant me the resources I need to see that this problem is…….resolved,” said the woman.

“And who are you again?”, asked Maddox incredulously.
The woman removed her hood and revealed her face for him and Sooyoung to see.

She was beautiful, just like Sooyoung, with sharp features like her nose and eyes.

“My name is not important, but you can call me the Needle,” said the woman.

Maddox recoiled in shock at the mention of her designation.

The Needle.

The legendary spy who stalked the corners of the empire, rooting out dissent where it may be found. Few knew about her, only those in high positions of power whispered her name. It was said whenever that whenever the Head required an important task done, he would send the Needle.
Clearly, her mother had spared no expense in sending aid.