Chapter 7

Lisa

There wasn't a part of my body that didn't ache. I had tracked those werewolf demons halfway around the country and it felt like I was still no closer to figuring out how or why they were living longer. They also had greater strength and intelligence. They were being controlled by something else, of that I was certain.

The she-wolf tending to my wounds began to massage the frustration knot that had gathered between my shoulder blades. A low growl rumbled in my chest and she instantly stopped and went back to the lacerations on my arm. Her and all the other she-wolves were way too touchy for my liking. They all wanted a mate, particularly if that mate was the alpha.

The mere thought of being mated had my skin crawling. I pushed her hand aside and rose from the chair, a silent dismissal. She scurried out of my room without any protest. The whole tending to my wounds, was just an excuse anyway. I would be completely healed by the end of the day.

I walked over to my desk and circled another area on the large map. My wolves had the werewolves somewhat contained and away from civilisation, but no matter how many we kill, they still seemed to be multiplying at an alarming rate. I heard little footsteps approach my door right before it quietly opened. I hid a smile as I braced myself for an attack. I kept my back turned to her as she crept her way towards me. She pounced, but I surprised her by turning around at the last minute and catching her in my arms.

"No fair!" Ella screeched.

"All is fair in love and war." I smile as I tickled her. Her laughter warms my heart and makes the last month of hell that I have lived through seem like a distant memory. I stop the assault on her belly and look over her sweet little face. Her strawberry blonde hair is a matted mess and her face is smeared with dirt, forever the little tomboy.

She is the only one that I let my guard down around. She's just another member of my pack, but with her it's different. I found her five years ago, an abandoned pup and took her into my pack, so now I feel like I have an obligation to protect her on a much more personal level.

Her sparkling blue eyes shine as she reaches up to touch my jaw. "You're smelly." She says as she brushes her hand across the scruff of my hair. "You most definitely need a bath." She pinches her nose to prove a point.

"Give me a break, little one. I literally just walked through the door."

A knock sounded at the door. "Enter." I called while still cradling Ella against my chest. Kai walked in first and gave me a look of disapproval. He didn't like the attachment that I had towards an abandoned pup, but I cared very little about what he thought even though he was my beta.

Hoony and Bambam walked in after him. They all stood in a straight line in front of me, all battle-worn from their mission.

"Report."

Kai spoke up first.

"We tracked and killed at least ten of those bastards. They are getting better at covering their tracks, but they can't outsmart a wolf."

"We tracked the one that was taking those boys and wreaking havoc in the small town to the North."

"One? You have been gone for weeks and you only got one?" Kai interrupted Bambam.

Bambam opened his mouth to protest, but was cut off again by Ella. "It's not your turn to speak." She said with a serious looking face, directed at Kai. I smiled on the inside. She had taken the very words from my mouth. Kai did not appreciate being scolded by a pup and he showed his displeasure by emanating a small growl.

Ella nestled closer to my chest at the threat, which pissed me off. I outmatched his growl sending him a warning throughout the room and all three of them fell to one knee in submission.

"Continue, Bambam." I motioned for him to stand.

"He was difficult to get our paws on him, because he stayed closed to the humans. We didn't kill him. When he was finally in a vulnerable position, someone else killed him."

The other two wolves stood up and both look at me seriously.

"Explain yourself." I watched him carefully.

"There were hunters there. They killed the werewolf." Bambam clarified. That news was like nails against a chalkboard to my soul. I hated werewolves, they were a plague upon this world, but the hatred that I had towards hunters was something else entirely.

"We've captured her and brought her back to the compound, the huntress that killed the werewolf."

My ears pricked at this news. I now had a huntress at my mercy.

"Not any huntress." Kai clarified. "She's from the Kim clan."

Anger surged through my veins like molten lava, just at the mention of that family name. I gritted my teeth to keep the anger and words within so I do not scare little Ella. I glanced down at Ella as she tugged on my tank top to get my attention.

"What's a Kim?" She asked quietly, obviously sensing the anger rolling off of me.

"A Kim is an evil human with super strength and speed that hunts down wolves and chops their heads off." Kai says in a hiss.

"Kai, it would be best for you if you disappeared from my sight before I forget that there is a small pup in the room." I warned as Ella whimpered and buried her face in my chest.

"She can't hurt you or anyone else now, Ella. She is locked up in the dungeon." Hoony tried to calm the trembling little one in my arms.

"I smelled chocolate chip cookies when I passed by the kitchen earlier. Why don't you go with Hoony and see if they are ready to eat?" I asked Ella.

Hoony held out his arms. I could tell that she was reluctant to go with him, but she obeyed and leapt into his arms.

"Save one for me." I smiled at her and they walked out the door.

"What are you going to do with her?" Bambam asked.

I could feel my wolf stirring angrily just beneath the surface.

"I'm going to make her pay for every Lycan death at the hands of a Kim, especially my brother's."