Chapter 45

Jennie

The closer we got to Dante's Point, the harder my heart hammered in my chest. I had been up against many foes, but never an entire army of werewolves. I kept looking to Lisa, her calm, cool demeanour was the only thing grounding me at this point.

I held my head a little higher as we approached the other pack members. I refused to let them see how flustered I truly was. I was Lisa's Luna now and I knew that showing weakness would affect the entire pack.

A menacing growl up ahead had me grabbing for the pistol on my hip, but before I could even react, Lisa had the Lycan pinned by the neck to a nearby tree.

"Growl at my Luna again and I will rip your throat out!" Lisa snarled.

"But she's a huntress..." The Lycan sputtered as he gasped for air.

"She's my huntress." Lisa warned and finally released the Lycan. He stood on trembling legs and looked at me again.

"What are you doing to my pack members!? I thought this fight was against the werewolves?" A very tall man that carried himself with authority walked towards Lisa. By the way he was acting, he had to be the alpha of another pack.

"If they value their lives, you better keep them away from my Luna!" Lisa warned and I grabbed her arm to keep her from doing something crazy. She needed to save that fight for the werewolves, not a bunch of Lycans who were pissed that a huntress was amongst their ranks.

"Sorry, just a bad habit, I guess we missed the memo about your mate." The tall man with dirty blond hair looked me over with a quick glance and then focused back on Lisa.

"I'm assuming that the other hunters a few miles to the North from here are also with you?" He asked.

"In a manner of speaking, yes they are." Lisa answered. "I think you would agree, Teddy, that we need all the help we can get to win this battle."

Teddy didn't answer Lisa, he just looked at me again and smiled. Done talking, Lisa urged everyone to the edge of the woods. I looked out as the woods opened up to a large, grass covered field. My breath caught in my throat as the rolling hills on the other side of the field was covered as far as the eye could see, with werewolves.

"Use your brains, fight smart. Even though some of them are part Lycan, they still do not have our strength, speed or intelligence." Lisa's voice boomed as she spoke to all the pack members.

Movement to my right caught my attention. The hunters were moving into position as well. I could barely make out the outline of my brother and father. How I prayed that we all came out of this in one piece at the end.

A horrid roar came from the other side and like bats out of hades, the werewolves tore down the hillside and towards us. The Lycans shifted quickly and darted out onto the battlefield.

Lisa caught me by my shoulders and bent down and kissed me. The tender, sweet moment reminded me too much of a goodbye kiss, which I refused to accept. I pushed her to arm's length as she looked deep into my eyes.

"I'll see you on the other side, my love." She whispered, but I did not have a chance to respond before she shifted and rushed out into the chaos that was already unfolding.

I didn't rush onto the battlefield like the Lycans. We the hunters survived by being smarter than our enemies, not stronger. My eyes swept across the carnage on combat zone, there wasn't anywhere near a thousand werewolves on the field. I looked to the hills as another wave of them came crashing onto the field, Taehyung was sending them in groups. He was hoping to wear down the Lycans little by little until their strength was diminished.

He was playing it smart, but so was I. I knew the best way to kill a snake was by chopping off its head and Taehyung was the head. I didn't see him on the battlefield, the coward was probably tucked away somewhere safe and sound over the hill, so that was where I was going.

I glanced onto the field once more. I could easily pick out Lisa by her wolf size. She was slaughtering the werewolves, but even her strength couldn't last forever. I had to make my move and I had to make it quick.

The quickest way to the other side was straight across. I gripped my revolver in my right hand, my silver blade in the other and rushed into the mayhem. I was quick and small, so I was able to duck and dodge many of the werewolves without having to go head-to-head with them. I was on a mission and nothing would hinder me.

I saw two werewolves ahead, pinning a Lycan to the ground. Two quick silver bullets to the head and I took care of them quickly. I never slowed as I reloaded my gun. I stopped in my tracks when my path all of a sudden became too clear. It was like all the werewolves diverted and were heading in one direction. My heart fell to the pit of my stomach when I saw them all fighting their way towards Lisa. That coward Taehyung had to be communicating with them telepathically.

The Lycans and the hunters were trying to block their path, but with so many of them heading in one direction at the same time, all they were doing was slowing them down. Taehyung knew that he needed to take out Lisa to weaken the whole pack and have a chance at victory.

I couldn't make it to Lisa in time, but my power could. I holstered my weapons and drew my power from its depths. I had hoped to save my little secret until the last possible moment, but I would be damned if I stood by and watch the one that I love be torn to bits by those revolting werewolves.

My power tingled as I called it to the surface. I hadn't had much practice with aiming, so I hoped I didn't hurt anyone who was on our side. It blasted from my finger tips and knocked everything in its path to the ground.

Some were dead, some were only stunned, but it had done the trick, it had stopped them long enough for the Lycans to gain the upper hand.

I turned back towards the hillside as another wave of werewolves came crashing down. I finally caught sight of Taehyung, his massive form was at the top of the hill. He was staring at me, his face twisted with hate and shock. The werewolves all barrelled towards me after my display of power and just like that, the target that was on Lisa's back was now on mine.