Chapter 18

Carina's POV

The week finally came when the tour landed in France and I was so excited to see Nina again after almost two months. But I had no shred of doubt that Emerson was much more excited to see the love of his life again. Ever since he told me his plans to propose to Nina, it was all I could be excited for. Two of the most kind and peaceful individuals I've ever known as a married couple? I couldn't think of anything more perfect. They bring so much joy and love to each other and I hoped nothing would disrupt what they have. After Palaye Royale and Grave District performed at last night's show, the bands would be getting about a few free days before the tour would move on to the next city right after. This was enough time for all of us to take some time for ourselves. I was going to use this time to catch up with Nina and spend some much needed alone time with Remington before the tour picked up again. I was filled with hope and excitement as me and the boys were preparing to visit Nina at her new home that Emerson bought a few months ago.

I remember the last time I was here in France was with all our friends to support Nina as she was auditioning to attend the music academy that she's now accepted in. It was truly beautiful here and I wouldn't blame Nina for wanting to stay here with Emerson and while she attended school. I walked besides Remington as we followed Em to where his home with Nina was located, and I smiled as I remembered something. Before we left the hotel that we were currently staying in, I caught Emerson tucking the small box with his ring inside of his jacket while no one else was looking, but it made my heart beam to see that Emerson would be trying to follow through with his plan to propose to Nina as we came to see here before tour resumed soon. After nearly thirty minutes of walking and traveling through new streets, we finally made it to the big and beautiful house that Nina was residing in. The only thing that caught my eye besides how gorgeous the house was...was how there was a luxurious limousine parked close to the house? Emerson didn't mention anything about a limo, right?

We finally approached the front door and Emerson went up to knock on it, calling out to his beloved girlfriend on the other side of it, "Nina, my love, it's me! Remington and Carina are also here to come see you and accompany you for a while..." No one seemed to reply, but a few seconds later, the door began to open and instead of Nina, we were greeted by an older, wealthy-looking couple who were staying inside of Nina and Emerson's house. Confusion rested on all of our faces as the woman introduced herself and her husband, "So...these people must be Nina's companions. How interesting...considering you all seem like you're under her social class." Before being offended by the woman's comment, I realized quickly, "Wait...you're Nina's parents? Why are you here?" The husband turned to me and answered while barely looking at me, "Her injury needed our attention and now we're making sure she doesn't make a commoner mistake like that again." "Mother! Father! Stop talking to my friends like you're better than them!", we all turned to see Nina walking in crutches and a cast on her ankle, her face filled with appall at her own parents' attitude.

"Nina!" We all pushed her parents aside as we rushed to her side and asked with concern, "What happened? Are you okay?" We helped her to sit on a sofa in the living room as she began to tell us everything that happened. After learning about what she's been through, she made it very clear that the worst tragedy wasn't getting her ankle sprained. Emerson held her hand and kissed it repeatedly as his way of soothing her as he expressed regret, "I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner to take care of you, my love." Nina shook her head and brushed some hair away from his face as she reassured him, "You didn't do anything wrong. It was an accident and I'm okay. I actually feel so much better now that all of you are here with me." Emerson smiled so sweetly and was about to lean in to kiss Nina when her mother interjected rather rudely, "Ahem! Yes, well, it was nice to see Nina reunite with her...friends. But she has her family here to take good care of her so you don't need to stay long." I was beginning to feel hatred toward her parents boiling inside of me when Emerson refused, "We're not leaving her. She needs us just as much and we're more than capable of taking care of her as well."

Nina's father began to speak then, "Young man, don't be so naive, look at yourself. You may dress like a nobleman, but you know nothing about Nina's manner of care like what she's been accustomed to since birth." Remington almost pounced on the man for talking shit about his little brother and I had to hold him back before he would be sued for injuring a rich man, or worse, killing him. "Rem, it's not worth it", I begged as I tried to calm him down, "Let's go outside for a minute to cool off, okay." Things were about to be okay again until Nina's mother had to blurt out, "Good heavens, Nina. These are the kind of people you associate yourself with? A gypsy-looking boy and a commoner girl with a brute for a boyfriend?" As much as I wanted to be calm, I couldn't after Shae said those things about Emerson and Remington and I ended up being the one close to attacking Nina's parents when Rem picked me up over his shoulder and called out to Nina and Em before we left the house, "We'll see you later. Just gonna clear our heads before one of us commits a crime."