Chapter 30

Carina's POV

Ever since that dreadful night, I haven't talked to Remington for the rest of the tour and he hasn't even tried to talk to me. Nobody noticed at the time, but apparently, there were paparazzi at that concert who captured photos of Remington beating up the guy who said bad things about me. The photos spread like wildfire as magazines and tabloids were quick to spread rumors about Remington and Palaye Royale. The band was extremely worried that this meant their fans wouldn't go to see then anymore, but to their shock and joy, many more still attended and claimed they know Remington reacted the way a caring and supportive boyfriend would. The only repercussion outside of this was that the rest of the venues for the remainder of this tour were strict on the bands staying on stage and making Rem sign a contract that he wouldn't engage in violent behavior with any attendees. While the boys acted like they didn't care much about all of this, I couldn't help but believe that this was all my fault.

If it weren't for me, Remington wouldn't have given in to fighting that heckler and maybe the band wouldn't be in so much trouble. I know for a fact Remington loves me very much, but I don't want to be what holds him back or messes up his future. What if in a couple years, he'll end up blaming me for all the rumors and bad things people say about him and the band? I don't want to be responsible for ruining these guys' success as musicians. That night might not be the only time it'll happen and it might only get worse if Remington continues to act like this for my sake. As much as I've met many lovely fans who seemed to enjoy meeting me and support my relationship with Remington, I've had a few fans give me dirty looks like they approve of us being together or I'm the scumbag in the relationship. It's probably why that guy tried pushing Rem's buttons and attacked by calling me hurtful names. I just wish Rem had been a little more logical when it came to things like that. I waited until the very last day of tour and after that night's concert to talk to Remington about something important I've decided.

Remington's POV

After finishing the last show of tour, us and Grave District were feeling so great, especially after seeing the audience so pumped up to be here to see us. We agreed as usual to meet everyone outside after the show and as usual, all our fans were happy to see us and were also a bit sad to see us one last time before we were about to head back to America. We promised them that we'd be returning to Europe and the UK, but hopefully for our own headlining tour very soon in the future. They were all so excited and therefore, wished us the best of luck and for us to keep creating beautiful music for them. I was so happy and calm about it all, I decided that I would try to apologize to Carina then and ask if we could put it behind us. We got back on the bus and drove off to the nearest hotel to relax in before we could book a flight back to Querencia. Emerson would leave a little earlier to return to Paris and spend time with his newlywed wife, Nina. Still can't believe my little brother actually got married (and before any of us could).

While we were at the hotel, I was about to take this opportunity to talk to Carina about my actions, but then she asked if she could say something. Believing it was fair, I let her go first. As we sat on the bed, her worried expression began to scare me as she started to speak, "Remington, I know for a fact that you're one of the sweetest guys I've ever met and like me, you wouldn't let anyone say something bad about someone you deeply care about. But the thing is, as much as I love you and want to stay with you, I don't want to be the one who could ruin your career when you all have worked so hard for this. It just wouldn't be fair after everything you've done for me and I'd never forgive myself." She looked away from me then and I knew she had more to say, but she seemed apprehensive. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to hear what she was going to say next, but I couldn't handle the tension any longer as I asked her, "Ma chérie, what are you saying all this for?" I wished I never opened my mouth as I listened to her utter the words I've been scared of hearing ever since we met, "I think...we should take a break from our relationship..."

My body became numb and I could hear a constant ringing sound in my ear. God, please let this be a nightmare. I got up from my seat and kneeled in front of Carina as I expressed in confusion, "My love, how can you be saying this? I thought you loved me..." She placed her hand on my cheek gently and explained, "I do, Remington, so much. It's exactly why I have to do this. I need to do this so I can let you achieve your dreams of being a rockstar and making an impact in the world. If I'm not around, you won't be compelled to risk your career again and nothing will ever jeopardize your chances of becoming big." She began to tear up as she continued, "I don't want to break up with you, Remington, if things were simple, I'd still stay with you. But I'm putting you and your brothers first before my selfish wants. And if you truly love me, you'll understand and let me do this." I understood where she was coming from and it made her so much stronger than I could ever be.

I broke down a little as I buried my head in her knees and just let myself cry as she smoothed my hair out with her hands, trying her best to comfort me. She was the only one to help me feel this calm and peaceful, even when things felt out of place. I raised my head back up and bucked up before I looked into those beautiful eyes I loved getting lost in, "I love you. I'll never stop loving you. I don't deserve you for being so strong and selfless. My gorgeous angel, please don't forget me as I won't ever forget you. Come to me if you ever need anything, you're still an important part of our family." She gave me a small yet tearful smile as she let herself cry a little more before leaning in to hug me one last time. I held her tightly and securely, reminding her that she will always be precious to me whether or not we're together. I pulled away to ask her, "Is it okay if I kiss you just one last time?" She giggled at my question - my heart breaking a little more to hear her beautiful laughter - and nodded, giving me permission before I held the side of her face so gently and leaned in to press my lips onto her soft, sweet lips and feel as if the greatest thing I've ever had in my life just died and I felt myself mourning. She didn't hesitate to kiss me back and it helped me know she wouldn't stop loving me either.