33. Mission

"What the hell happened?" Kensie strode into the conference room and right up to Anna. The call to return home because Sorah was missing had her speeding back to the castle, leaving the Stealth Squad behind to wrap up their mission. The council was assembled and each member looked up at the her as John walked in behind her and took his seat.

Anna stood and leant both hands on the table. "She's missing, and so are both guards that were on watch at the time." Kensie clenched her hands into tight fists and dug her nails into her palm. "There was a struggle in your quarters," Anna said. "We're not sure when it happened but the entire castle and its grounds have been searched."

Kensie stood there staring at her, her hands on her hips and her face as hard as stone. She turned toward Briggs with a cold glare. "Your soldiers failed to protect my wife. If you wish to keep the title you've held for so long, you'll get me everything you have on the two soldiers who are missing. Get me any lead you have, no matter how small."

He stood and bowed low. "Of course, Your Highness. I'll prepare all ranked soldiers for a recovery mission."

"Don't bother," she said. Anna cocked her head to the side while Briggs narrowed his eyes. "I'll find her myself. Just get me the information I need." He gave a short nod and left the room. Kensie looked around the table at the other council members, who all wore the same expression of displeasure. "Is there a problem?"

All eyes turned to John. "You can't leave," he said. He shrank under her glare but went on. "You're needed here, and it's too much of a risk."

She pursed her lips and considered the advice. "You all agree?"

Every single one of her council members gave a short nod. She looked to Anna—they shared the same expression and she was relieved to earn a slight nod from the blonde. "Thank you for your advice," she said. Each member sighed and relaxed. "However, the decision rests with me and I'll be going forward with my plan." She watched as each member flashed a look of concern around the table. "You're all dismissed."

As soon as the door was closed Kensie rounded on Anna. "How did this happen?"

Anna closed her eyes and drew a breath. "She went upstairs after you left. She was in a terrible mood, so I gave her some space. At 4pm shift change they discovered she was gone."

Kensie ran her hand through her hair and paced a small section of the room. Anna watched her for a moment before her curiosity got the better of her. "Where are your blades?"

Kensie shook her head and sighed. "I lost them." She rolled her eyes at Anna's confused expression. "It doesn't matter now."

"Your Highness."

Kensie's head snapped up from the desk as the soldier entered the room. "Tell me you have something." He nodded and handed her two sheets of paper. She scanned the profiles of the soldiers who were missing.

"We've found the body of the first soldier. He was Eighth Rank, Lionheart Legion. The second man is Nathaniel, who was recently promoted from the First Squad into the Lionheart Legion. We haven't found him, and suspect he may have had something to do with Her Majesty's disappearance."

She clutched at the paper, marring its smooth surface. "Any leads?"

He nodded. "Commander Briggs is working on one now. He should be up to brief you soon."

"Good. Have the Second and Fifth of the Lionheart Legion, and Captain Patrick Rinner of Stealth prepare for deployment. Alert the commander that he is to deploy all other available teams. I want them to jump on any lead they have."

He nodded and turned on his heel. Anna watched him leave with narrowed eyes. "That's all you're taking?"

Kensie turned to face her and shook her head. "No. Daniella and Andrew will join me." She made to leave but was stilled by Anna's hand on her arm.