1

A loud crackling sound stirred Meggie from her sleep. Her eyes fluttered open, slowly lifting up her head. Just before laying her head back down, the crackling sound came again. Fully awake now, she pulled back the wool blanket she had.

She was out camping for the summer with her best friend, Dirk. These were the last two weeks of summer and she wanted to use them.

"Is Dirk awake?" she thought, then quickly doubted it. There was no way Dirk would stay up this late. Maybe he couldn't sleep? Being friends for years, she knew he wasn't a night owl. So then she peeked outside. Her breath left her when she stepped outside her tent. Dirk's tent was to the right of her, and the firepit was in front of both tents. Only ash remained.

She couldn't take her eyes off the sky. Her eyes gazed in wonder, and then she saw two shooting stars. Then, after a minute, Meggie noticed something was off. Before she could finish her thought, dozens more appeared in the sky. They were coming in the direction she was standing. In a matter of minutes, meteors came down. One landed on her right hand and burned her. Her eyes looked in horror, with panic all over her. She then jumped up, her legs wobbled with fear, and it shook her whole body. She leaped out of her tent and quietly rushed to Dirk's tent. She shook Dirk awake, and he moaned. 

       "Get up! Dirk! There is something terrible happening, and is happening to us! Something is happening to the Earth," She said, voice trembling and shaking, face flushed."W-what...?" Dirk said, half awake. He pushed himself up and faced Meggie. He opened his mouth, but before he could let out a word, a meteor slammed right into the tent Meggie and Dirk were in. Meggie looked into Dirks' face, which was twisting in so many emotions, she couldn't even express his facial expression. Stunned, shock, fear, horror, realization. Without a word, Dirk stepped outside. Dirk almost fell to his knees.