4

4

Meggie sat on her couch, scrolling through her photos. There was a photo of her and Dirk camping. Another one was of her Dad had blowed a plug-in-microwave, trying to do an experiment. Meggie chuckled at the picture, and continued scrolling through photos.

A few minutes later the ground started rumbling. Gentle at first, then grew. Meggie felt it, and stood up from the couch. Her mom and dad were at work, so she was at the house alone.

The ground grew worse and worse, to the point Meggie couldn't stand up right. Freaking out, she grabbed her phone and called her mom. No answer. "Great." She thought. She thought of her parents, then her grandfather, who worked underground. "What am I going to do?" Meggie thought. Then, all of a sudden, the rumbling started slowing down, then finally coming to a stop. She let of a sigh of relief. Then Meggie came up with an idea. Meggie raced to her room, put clothes on, and headed out the door. She knew she had to act fast. It wasn't far from where she lived. She made it to the site. Her grandfather was really underground. It was musty there. She made it down to where her grandfather was. Her grandfather was, he saw her, and with surprise. "What are you doing down here? It's not safe," Her grandfather said, with concern in his eyes. "What did he mean it's not safe? I've been down here before, Grandfather showed me around." Meggie thought. "What do you mean?" Meggie said. "Uh, the earthquake? This is just the beginning. There are episodes when an earthquake occurs." Her grandfather said. "Oh! Yeah! I was a bit scared. And then I thought of you, and I was concerned, since you work underground, and wanted to see if you were okay," Meggie explained. Grandfather's face soften, "Thank you, sweetie for thinking about me. Yes, I'm ok, but you must not be here, okay? Tell your mother I'm alright for me, okay?" Meggie nodded. She hugged her grandfather tight, then as she was letting go, the rumbling began, then grew, and grew. Bits of dirt fell from the ceiling. Grandfather looked up, then looked at Meggie, "You need to go and get out of here!" Grandfather said. "Come with me!" Meggie commented back. Her grandfather shook his head. "I need to get people who are underneath this floor." Meggie started pacing away from her grandfather,"Be careful!" Meggie said, grandfather gave a single nod,"I will."

Right after he said that, a huge boulder came down, the size of a car, and thudded on the ground, causing more dirt to come down. Up above, workers were yelling to get out, then her grandfather grabbed her arm and said, "I told you, you need to leave!" Grandfather brought her to the first level. The earthquake worsened, "I don't want to leave you!" Meggie shouted out the chaos. "Go–" Her grandfather stoped short, and boulder came down smash her grandfather, a sharp rock underneath Grandfather, had