Meeting the Alpha King

Each branch hits me on the way down. I fall to the ground groaning, clutching my stomach. Each breath sends pain throughout my stomach. 

I stand up, ignoring my pain, brandishing my weapons. I look around cautiously. They reach for their guns at their hips before stopping. With a knife in one hand and a gun in the other, I stand in a defensive position; everyone takes a step back except for my mate, who looks at me like he's in a trance. He puts his hands up away from any weapons that he may have. 

"I promise not to hurt you; just put the weapons down," I shake my head and grip them more tightly. I lift my knife, pointing it at him.

"Hunters," I say. His eyes change color, and he turns away from me. The other werewolves surrounding us, head toward the hunters. This is my chance I could run away right now. 

"Packs are murderous," my father's words echo. I slowly creep away. My mate turns back towards me, and I stop as he stares deep into my eyes. Didn't he know what I was and what I'd done? He walks toward me as if there isn't a battle behind him, as if I were the only person in the world. 

"What's your name, Little One?" He towers over me, and I take a few steps back. I gulp, wondering what to say to him. Usually, I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone I'm Lily Midnight to send them running. But this man didn't seem like he'd run at the mention of my name. He'd turn me in to get the bounty on my head. I continue to back away, and he matches my steps. My back hits a tree, and he puts his arms on either side of me. I'm trapped. 

"Nowhere to run, Little One. What is your name?" He smirks. Squirming under his gaze, I struggle to look him in the eyes. Looking at the ground, I tell him my second wolf's name. 

"Lorena," 

"My name is Kiernan," I nod, looking up but not meeting his gaze. 

"They're about done over there, so why don't we get you looked at."  He grabs his shoulder, and I see the feathers of an arrow sticking out, I stand in between him and the archers. More arrows follow, and I grab them all. I feel a sharp pain in my leg and stumble. Is there more than one archer? There's no way a human would be this fast. I examine the direction in which the arrows are coming and throw knives. I hear two thuds and watch out for any other archers.  

"Stop, you're hurt," Kiernan says from behind. 

I feel a wet sticky substance run down my leg, and I examine my leg. An arrow sticks out of my leg, I pull it out, and add it to my arsenal. The wound slowly starts to heal, I grit my teeth and bite my lip to keep in a scream. Some of the werewolves begin to return from the battle, completely unscathed.

"Run back to the crescent pack and get their doctor now!" I hear Kiernan's voice boom and return my thoughts to the battle. My wound is healing, so I ignore the pain in my leg and am ready to fight more. Kiernan moves in front of me, I watch his arms as he places either arm on my shoulders. 

"Are you okay?" He looks at my leg, worried, I shrug his arms off my shoulders. 

"I'm fine." I lower my weapons as the archers are taken care of. The other werewolves are dealing with the other hunters, so I should be fine. He bends down to look at my leg, and a bullet flies towards me. 

"No!" Escape from my mouth as the bullet lodges itself in my ribs. I fall back against the tree.  What's wrong with me? Why didn't I move out of the way, catch it, or block it with my sword? 

"Heal her now!" His voice commands, anger boiling from it. Someone else seems to come closer, but I'm too focused on leaning against the tree for support. My leg has started to hurt more, and although it's almost healed, I still have trouble moving it.