Attack in the palace

Solena's POV

Ever since my parent's death, I haven't cried in front of anyone or shared my story. At first, I was hesitant to share my story with Kiernan. I was a dangerous rogue, who threatened the safety of many packs in his kingdom, there was no reason he had to listen to me. With Lily's and Lorena's insistence to trust my mate, I shared a little bit of the past nine years of my life. It felt like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders, I was able to share my grief over the deaths.

After pouring over documents, sleep overtook me and I heard Kiernan leave the room.

As soon as I settled into a peaceful sleep, I heard a gas start to fill the room. Covering my mouth I try to find the source. Unable to locate it and for lack of oxygen I cough, inhaling a large amount of the gas. Running towards the door, I bang on it hoping the guards will hear me. The wolf souls within me start to die out and I try to lower myself to the ground to avoid the gas, but the souls keep dying out. I hear something shut off and the gas clouds the room. I bang on the door some more.

"Help! Somebody, please!" I start panicking as I remember the amount of times I screamed for someone to stop the pain when I was last imprisoned and my screams fell on deaf ears.

"Lily, Lorena," I cry out weakly, unable to hold my breath.

"Solena, hold on..." Lorena's voice filters through my head. I continue breathing in the gas as I can't hold my breath any longer and help isn't coming. Kiernan said he wouldn't do this to me, that he would allow me to deliver souls. So why?

Once the gas dissipates completely, I'm on the floor curled against the door in agony, the wolf souls are completely gone. The door swings open. I yelp as my back slams against the wall. Trying to get up, someone walks around the door, and grabs my neck, pulling me upward and pushing me against the wall.

"Tell me everything you know about Tyler Santos," Beta Darren growls in my face. I grab onto his arm to try to get his grip to loosen. Using all my strength I kick in between his legs and he drops to the ground, allowing me to skirt around him and rush out of the door. I take 4 steps, my waist is pulled flush against someone's waist, and we both fall, my attacker falling on top of me and pinning me down to the ground. He quickly repositions himself so his legs trap my arms to my waist. My legs are too short to kick him in the back and without the strength of the wolves, I can't push his legs aside. I'm trapped.

"What do you know about Tyler Santos?" He breathes into my ear. I headbutt him and he groans but his hold only tightens.

"Answer my question and I'll let you go." Groaning my breath quickens trying to orient myself. The wolfsbane made me extremely weak, and I choked back sobs as I thought about Uncle Tyler.

"He's dead. He said he would come for me, but he never did." Why is he asking about him?

"Stop lying to me! Where is he?" I cry out as he pulls on my hair.

"He's dead, he's dead!" Suddenly I feel Darren being lifted off of me. I scramble away and run out the door. I'm running sluggishly slow. Someone catches my arms and I can't help the scream that arises within me. I'm no match for them and all my attempts to break out of their grasp are futile. 

"Solena!" I hear Kiernan's voice and my head snaps towards him. He's by my side in a second, the person who grabbed my arm lets go as I'm pulled into a hug.

"Lorena she's gone, you promised... you promised you wouldn't do this to me... Lily, Lorena... the wolves..., they're all gone... You promised." I sob, relaxing into Kiernan's embrace even though I'm still upset. I don't have enough energy to push him away. Leaning into his chest, I turn my head sideways to stare down the corridor.